Court rejects arrest warrant against Zandile Gumede
11 October 2019, 2:17 PM
Durban Magistrate Dawn Soomaroo has rejected the state application for a warrant of arrest to be issued against former eThekwini Mayor Zandile Gumede – who appeared in court over the alleged violation of her bail conditions.
Soomaroo says Gumede is not a flight risk.
On Thursday the Hawks, the NPA and members of the Asset Forfeiture Unit raided luxury houses belonging to Gumede and her co-accused.
They seized luxury cars and other high-priced items.
Gumede and her co-accused are facing fraud and corruption charges relating to a R208 million Durban Solid Waste tender.
During the raid it was discovered that Gumede had changed her residential address without notifying the investigating officer.
Click video below:
Mosupyoe appointed Gauteng’s Economic Development MEC
11 October 2019, 1:52 PM
Morakane Mosupyoe has been appointed Gauteng economic development MEC, replacing former Tshwane mayor, Kgosientso “Sputla” Ramokgopa who tendered his resignation earlier on Friday.
Premier David Makhura, in a statement announced the appointment following pressure from the NEC for greater female representation in his executive. He had until Friday to meet the deadline to replace one of his male MEC’s with a woman.
This is in line with the NEC’s resolution that says where a premier is male, 60% of the executive must be women.
“I have taken some time to effect this decision of the governing party to allow all the members of the executive council to finalise their plans in line with the commitments I announced during the State of the Province Address in July. Members of the executive council have since then engaged in extensive consultation with various stakeholders around finalizing our plan – Growing Gauteng Together,” Makhura says.
Mosupyoe served as a councillor in the City of Tshwane from 2006 – 2016. During this period, she also served as the MMC for Health and Social Development.
In 2011 she became the first female Speaker of the City of Tshwane until 2016 when the term ended.
Makhura adds, “I am confident that Mosupyoe will build on the solid foundation laid by Dr. Ramokgopa towards the realisation of our vision of growing the economy of our province. She will continue with the process of creating an integrated multi-tier Special Economic Zone (SEZ).”
Zondo pokes holes in Duduzane Zuma’s testimony
8 October 2019, 2:28 PM
Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo has poked holes in Duduzane Zuma’s testimony about why the meeting between former Deputy Finance Minister, Mcebisi Jonas and African National Congress (ANC) member Fana Hlongwane had to be moved to the Gupta home in Saxonwold.
Zuma was appearing for the second day at the State Capture Commission in Parktown, Johannesburg, to respond to allegations leveled against him by several witnesses at the commission.
Responding to Justice Zondo’s questions, in concluding his testimony, Zuma said the Gupta residence had catering, printing facilities and staff runners.
Justice Zondo was, however, not convinced. “It just seems to me that there should be no reason why you can’t have two friends in your home who want to discuss a private matter,” expressed Zondo.
Zuma then went on to explain to the commission that, “They were friendly to each other. I only had one friend. So, the other technically was not my friend; and so from a welcoming perspective from having someone I dont know it’s something that I dont generally do and I didn’t do it that day.”
However, Zondo was not convinced and went on to question this stance Zuma had provided, “I would’ve thought that at least for the purpose of this meeting, your friend’s friend would be welcome in your home for purposes of this discussion which you’ve taken trouble to say i want to help them resolve this.”
‘Allegations tarnished my name’
Meanwhile, Zuma has told the commission that he does not want the public to perceive him as a corrupt individual. Several witnesses have implicated Zuma and his business associates, the Guptas in wrongdoing at the commission. He says allegations against him have tarnished his name.
“On the perception front that is purely on the court of public opinion which is driven by a narrative that extends from media reports and allegations – I am looked at as a criminal, as the face of corruption, this guy that has plundered trillions out of this country which is not the case. So, I would like to say to the public that I am not corrupt and I am not taking any money from anybody and I never will. How they take it, it is not for me to decide. But I want to make it clear that when you see me walking around just know that that is not me.”
Duduzane Zuma has also reiterated his statement that former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela did not afford him a fair opportunity to provide his version of events. However, Madonsela accused Zuma of lying and attempting to divert attention away from himself.
Zuma says a lot could’ve been clarified had he been give an opportunity by Madonsela.
Click video below:
AARTO comes into effect in June 2020
5 October 2019, 12:59 PM
The Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences Act (AARTO) will be in full effect in June 2020.
This was announced at the launch of Transport Month in Heidelberg in Gauteng.
President Cyril Ramaphosa signed AARTO into law in August 2019, aimed at improving road user behaviour for the country.
Launching Transport Month, Ramaphosa says road safety does not begin with increased police presence.
Watch related videos below…
Meanwhile, addressing delegates at the same event, Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula says the AARTO Act will reduce the carnage on the country’s roads by imposing harsh restrictions on motorists who disobey the rules of the road.
Watch related video below:
Racial comments to cost Etzebeth R1 million
5 October 2019, 10:36 AM
The South African Human Rights Commission says the complainants in the Eben Etzebeth matter have asked for financial compensation of over R1-million.
The SAHRC has formerly lodged an application in the Equality Court for an alleged racist slur against Springbok lock.
It will be heard in Hopefield on the West Coast. This follows allegations of assault and a racial slander incident in Langebaan in August.
The South African Human Rights Commission held a media briefing in its Cape Town offices to explain the Equality Court process.
Head of Legal Services Buang Jones says the court will determine whether Etzebeth contravened the Equality Act or not.
Jones says there are currently four complainants on this matter. “We have since reconsidered our position as the Human Rights Commission, instead of embarking on a protracted investigation process, we should take this matter to the courts to pronounce on whether or not the allegations against Etzebeth are true or not.”
SAHRC Commissioner Andre Guam says Etzebeth remains innocent until proven otherwise.
The commission says it is not asking for Etzebeth’s recall from the World Cup, but that the law should take its course.