For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Bomkazi Malobola (Page 3)

Author Archives: Bomkazi Malobola

Buffalo City metropolitan concerned about low dam levels
14 September 2021, 7:00 AM

The Eastern Cape’s Buffalo City metropolitan area is also feeling the grip of the long-term drought ravaging the province.

City officials are concerned as dam levels continue to drop, with the average capacity of its supply dams sitting at below 33%.

The Metro has already implemented stage three water restrictions. Buffalo City Metro mayor Xola Phakathi, says they are looking at other means of supplying water to communities.

“The are many other options that we are discussing. One being the provision of boreholes for the rural communities so that we can have sustainable water provision for those communities but also looking at the possibility of a desalination plant. We have now concluded because of climate change we are not going to have sustainable rainfall.”

The residents of the city say the municipality must take the lead in water conservation.

“Fix all the taps to make this issue easy and the people must go to Buffalo City metropolitan and report things. The municipality should be the one taking the lead to preserve and to educate people and become aware of the situation that it is facing.”

Stars born at US Open
14 September 2021, 6:36 AM

The coronation of new champions Emma Raducanu and Daniil Medvedev left tennis fans salivating at the prospect of what is to come as the curtain dropped on Grand Slam tennis for another year at the end of the US Open on Sunday.

The fans were back at Billie Jean King National Tennis Center after last year’s COVID-19-enforced lockout and they witnessed drama worthy of any stage at the Broadway theatres only a few miles away.

Novak Djokovic had inevitably been given top billing because of his quest for a calendar-year Grand Slam and a 21st major title to break the three-way tie with Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal as the most successful men’s player of all time.

In the second week, however, he had to share the spotlight as two new tennis stars emerged in the women’s draw.

Teenagers Raducanu and Leylah Fernandez — born two months apart in 2002, generated frenzied hype as they swept all before them on unlikely runs to the title decider.

Raducanu, having battled her way through qualifying at only her second major, emerged triumphant in the final act on Saturday with a dominant victory that captivated millions back home in Britain and around the world.

The manner of her triumph, and the fact she had reached fourth round on Wimbledon grass on her Grand Slam debut, left many wondering if Raducanu might possibly be the dominant champion women’s tennis craves.

Canadian left-hander Fernandez had the harder route to the final, beating three top-five players and multiple major champions, and did more than enough to suggest she will not be a flash-in-the-pan.

“We’ve seen other careers that have looked unstoppable but haven’t lasted very long,” said ESPN analyst Chris Evert, herself a teenage Grand Slam winner.
Israeli Prime Minister visits Egypt in first official trip for a decade
14 September 2021, 6:32 AM

 Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on Monday for talks on Israeli-Palestinian relations and bilateral ties in the first official trip by an Israeli head of government to Egypt for a decade.

Bennett, the head of a far-right party who took office in June, was invited to visit by Sisi last month.

Since May, Egypt has played a prominent role in brokering and trying to reinforce a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip after 11 days of conflict there between Israel and Palestinian faction Hamas, which controls the enclave.

Bennett said the talks in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh covered diplomacy, security and the economy. “We created a foundation for a deep connection going forward,” he said before flying home.

In the discussions, Sisi cited Egypt’s efforts to maintain calm in the Palestinian territories and the importance of international support for rebuilding efforts there, according to an Egyptian presidency statement.

An uptick in cross-border violence since late August has tested the fragile truce in Gaza. Over the past week, Palestinians have fired rockets into Israel for three nights in a row, drawing Israeli airstrikes.

Sisi also “affirmed Egypt’s support for all efforts to achieve a comprehensive peace in the Middle East, according to the two-state solution”, the presidency statement said.

Peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians collapsed in 2014 and analysts say there is little prospect of reviving them. Bennett, a nationalist atop a cross-partisan coalition, opposes Palestinian statehood. His government has focused on policies to improve economic conditions in the Palestinian territories.

Police Minister to visit Inanda after 3 killed at ANC candidate selection meeting over the weekend
14 September 2021, 6:20 AM

Police Minister Bheki Cele will on Tuesday visit Inanda in Durban following the killing of three women in a drive-by shooting on Saturday.

Five other people were wounded. The attack happened at a meeting where people were selecting African National Congress (ANC) candidate to represent their ward in the forthcoming local government elections.

#PoliceMinistry #MediaAlert Police Minister, General Bheki Cele will on Tuesday, 14 September 2021 visit KZN following a shooting at Inanda township in Durban that has led to the killing of three women.

Time: 10:30
Venue: Inanda Police Stationhttps://t.co/z7knQVW8Dc pic.twitter.com/bKUsHa0R1R

— SA Police Service 🇿🇦 (@SAPoliceService) September 13, 2021


Cele is expected to visit the families of the victims and the crime scene.

Police Department Spokesperson Lirandzu Themba says, “The news of a drive-by shooting that has claimed the lives of three women at Inanda township in Durban has been received with shock by the police ministry.

On Saturday a black Opel Corsa bakkie with five occupants opened fire on a group of people waiting outside a local primary school. The cowardly act claimed the lives of 34-year-old Ncami Shange, 60-year-old Beatrice Nzama and Philisiwe Jili who was 37 years of age.”

Three people killed, five wounded after gunmen opened fire in Inanda: 

Richard Lebethe to face another day of questioning at Life Esidimeni inquest
14 September 2021, 6:03 AM

Former Deputy Director-General of Clinical Services in the Gauteng Health Department, Dr Richard Lebethe will this morning face more questions during the Life Esidimeni inquest in the High Court in Pretoria.

The inquest is trying to establish who is liable for the deaths of 144 mentally patients when Life Esidimeni transferred them to various unregistered and ill-equipped non-governmental organisations.

Life Esidimeni Inquest into the death of 144 patients continues:

The causes of the deaths are said to include starvation and neglect. Former Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu subsequently shut down the Life Esidimeni centre in June 2016.

During cross-examination on Monday, Lebethe told lawyers of the families of the deceased that Mahlangu was the first person to tell him about the deaths.

“The first time you were told that there were eight deaths, you said that doctor it was when you told that by the MEC?

Dr: Yes I was told that in a context that worry, agitating and for the situation to be attended to. Yes, I did something about it. That thing was worked on the same night. And the following day that’s when I took the report to the Ombudsman.

Yesterday Lebethe told the court that the bodies of deceased Life Esidimeni psychiatric patients were only handed to the families for burial once postmortems were conducted.

Lebethe said it was imperative to conduct the postmortems as this assisted in determining the cause of death.

Most of them died during the transfer period to other NGOs in 2016.

“It happened, in some of the cases, that some of the bodies were collected by the families and were buried. The bodies that go to FPS, the specific natural deaths. But in the case of those, there’s possible litigation, dispute and the likes. But more importantly, is that the people who passed in institutions it becomes a postmortem so as to know the cause of death.”

Lebethe said he was not involved in vetting NGOs that mental health patients were sent to.

Life Esidimeni Inquest | Dr Richard Lebete denies involvement in vetting NGOs:

Weather

 

SABC © 2021