For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Skhangiwe Mthiyane

Author Archives: Skhangiwe Mthiyane

CRL Commission to intervene in the International Pentecostal Holiness Church factional fighting
12 July 2020, 1:53 PM

The Commission for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Cultural, Religious and Linguistic Communities (CRL Rights Commission) says it will attempt to bring the two warring factions of the International Pentecostal Holiness Church together in an effort to resolve their differences.

This follows the killing of five people after about 50 others stormed the church’s headquarters in Zuurbekom, west of Johannesburg and held members hostage, on Saturday. More than 40 people have been arrested so far.

CRL chairperson, Professor David Mosoma says, “The CRL Commission will in the next few weeks attempt to bring the warring factions together to try to find a way forward. We have been insisting on this particular issue for some time but we have had challenges of either one of the factions not attending our meetings. But I think we will use all our instruments which lies under our mandate to make sure that each and every person in the warring factions really participate and seek to arrive at an amicable solution.”

Police Commissioner tasks Gauteng Police to finalise investigation into church hostage attack

National Police Commissioner General Khehla Sitole has tasked Gauteng police to quickly finalise its preliminary investigations into an attack.

National police spokesperson Vish Naidoo says those arrested include law enforcement officers. He says four people were found shot and burnt in a car, while the fifth victim, a security guard, was fatally shot in his car.

Police also rescued men, women and children said to have been living in the church compound. Police are now investigating the possibility that the attack may have been motivated by a feud between conflicted parties in the church.

Naidoo says six of the arrested were wounded and taken to hospital.

“We’ve arrested over 41 suspects including six who have been taken to hospital, purportedly after suffering injuries and gunshot wounds. We’ve also seized over 40 firearms including rifles, shotguns and handguns. Among those arrested are members of the SAPS, Johannesburg Metro Police and Correctional Services. We are investigating certain theories. When the attackers arrived, they indicated that they have come to take over the premises because there is an existing feud between conflicting groups in the church,” explains Naidoo.

IPHC pleads with courts to intervene to resolve church leadership issues

The leadership of the International Pentecostal Holiness Church (IPHC) in Zuurbekom, west of Johannesburg, has called on courts to play their part in ensuring that the leadership battle in the church is resolved.

The church, one of the biggest in Southern Africa, has about three million members.

A church member, who also serves as a security marshall and witnessed the incident, says, “Around after 12, we heard gunshots from the outside. We were inside. I’m a security marshal. I ran towards the gate. When I got to the gate I saw cars parked. In my mind, I thought of alerting others that we were under siege. I ran with the siren speaker to the Whitehouse to alert security. Within seconds, I saw over 10 gunmen. I ran and never looked back.”

In the video below, the SABC News reports on the kidnapping and shooting incident at the International Pentecostal Church that claimed five lives:

 

Speaker of Buffalo City Metro succumbs to COVID-19
12 July 2020, 1:12 PM

Speaker of the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipal Council in the Eastern Cape, Alfred Mtsi, has succumbed to COVID-19-related complications.

He died in hospital. The province is one the hardest-hit by the pandemic, registering 48 232 cases.

Buffalo City Mayor Xolo Pakati has described Mtsi as one of the most dedicated activists of the African National Congress. Pakati was speaking on the sidelines the funeral service for AmaRharhabe Queen Noloyiso Sandile, who also succumbed to COVID19-related complications.

He said Mtsi’s death is a huge loss for the province.

“We are very devastated at the passing of our Speaker. Councillor Mtsi died very early this morning. He was diagnosed with COVID-19 illness and as such he could not survive and we convey our condolences to his family.”

Buffalo City council speaker Alfred Mtsi dies of COVID-19 related complications

AmaRharhabe Queen’s son Jonguxolo Sandile named as her successor
12 July 2020, 12:37 PM

Queen Noloyiso Sandile’s son prince Jonguxolo Sandile has been named as her successor. The announcement was made during her funeral at Mngqesha Great Place outside King Williams Town in the Eastern Cape.

The Regent Queen of the Amarharhabe Nation took the reigns after the death of her husband King Maxhoba Sandile in 2011.

Family spokesperson Prince Xhanti Sigcawu says the 28- year-old prince is now ready to lead the Amarharhabe nation.

“We requested the late Queen to act as a Queen Regent which she did until the last day and after that we met and took a decision that Jonguxolo should take the baton. Jongixolo is now close to his thirties and he’s ready to lead and we will be there to support him,” says Sigcawu.

Prince Jonguxolo Sandile paid a moving tribute to his late mother.

The queen died at Cecilia Makhiwane Hospital in Mdantsane on Wednesday. The prince has described his mother as a humble and caring person.

“Our stories are endless of laughing together and fighting through the toughest situations together that alone made me and my sister inseparable and we will forever love you…I have never come across someone so humble.”

Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane says the provincial government will engage with the successor and family of the late Queen Noloyiso Sandile, to look at ways of honouring her.

Mabuyane has described Queen Noloyiso as a role model whose legacy and contribution to the development of the kingdom will live on for generations to come through her people.

“Indeed she was a very humble, down to earth person, very stable and brought that stability as well and she brought that unity. Indeed we have lost a very important person in our province. Her contribution indeed was actually unparalleled, so government we will work together with the kingdom as we have been doing.”

LIVE: Queen of AmaRharhabe Noloyiso Sandile’s Special Official Funeral 

 

More North West officials test positive for COVID-19
12 July 2020, 9:59 AM

A fourth member of the North West provincial executive committee has tested positive for the coronavirus. Arts, Culture, Sport and Recreation MEC, Virginia Tlhapi, like Premier Job Mokgoro and Public Works MEC Gaoage Molapisi is in self-isolation.

Co-operative governance MEC Gordon Kegakilwe died on Monday last week, due to the COVID-19 related complications. Five other MECs in the province are in quarantine, after conducting public tests in Rustenburg on Saturday. They include Health MEC Madoda Sambatha.

“The only reason why we are doing tests is for public trust because three of our members that we were very close within a meeting tested positive. Unfortunately, comrade Gordon passed on, may his soul rest in peace. We are just doing this for confidence in the system. That’s why we even do it in a lab of the national health laboratory service –  the government one. Because we can’t put rules and not follow them.”

Sambatha says contact tracing is underway for people who may have come into contact with North West government officials.

“On contact tracing, the Department of Health has at least covered 90% of all the contacts affected and confirmed cases of the MECs. What we have currently is that the contacts are broad, not only those that are MECs, because contacts are contacts irrespective of where they are.”

Below are the stats for South Africa:

Loading...

Loading…

Senior Limpopo official tests positive for COVID-19

A senior official in the Limpopo Office of the Premier has tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19). The Premier’s Spokesperson Kenny Mathivha says the official is in self-isolation and all people who had contact with him have been traced and are in quarantine.

This is the second person to test positive in the Office of the Premier after a police officer manning a guard room tested positive three months ago.

In the past week, Premiers Alan Winde from the Western Cape, and David Makhura from Gauteng – tested positive for the virus.

The 72-year-old Mokgoro is making good progress after deciding to admit himself to hospital while the other two premiers are in self-isolation at home.

In the video below, Co-operative Governance Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma responds to Kegakilwe’s death:

Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan and son test positive for COVID-19
12 July 2020, 7:51 AM

Amitabh Bachchan, one of India’s best-known movie stars, has tested positive for COVID-19 together with his actor son Abhishek Bachchan, they said late on Saturday.

Both were admitted to the same private hospital

“I have tested COVID positive … shifted to hospital … hospital informing authorities … family and staff undergone tests, results awaited,” Amitabh Bachchan, 77, said in a tweet.

Minutes later, his 44-year-old son Abhishek Bachchan also tweeted he had been infected.

“Both of us having mild symptoms have been admitted to hospital. We have informed all the required authorities and our family and staff are all being tested,” he said.

“I request all to stay calm and not panic.”

The Bollywood actors were admitted to Nanavati Hospital in Mumbai, India’s financial and entertainment hub.

Around India, fans, politicians, fellow actors and businessmen wished the pair a full and speedy recovery.

“I will pray and not eat till you recover and leave hospital,” posted one fan Manoj Pandit on Twitter, where Amitabh Bachchan has over 43 million followers.

WORLD’S THIRD WORST OUTBREAK

Despite a stringent lockdown, the new coronavirus has infected over 820 000 people and killed over 22 000 in India.

In the previous 24 hours, India recorded 27 114 cases, making it the nation with the third-biggest outbreak behind the United States and Brazil in confirmed infections.

Mumbai has recorded over 84 500 COVID-19 cases, of which 4 899 have died.

Amitabh Bachchan has been helping lead the fight against COVID-19, appearing in public service advertisements.

He joined the film industry in 1969 and has made over 200 movies. The actor suffered a near-fatal injury during the shooting of an action scene on a film set in 1982 and was critically ill for several months.

In recent years, he returned as the celebrity host of “Kaun Banega Crorepati”, India’s version of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” and one of its most watched shows.

Weather

 

SABC © 2020