For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Chuma Nobanda (Page 13)

Author Archives: Chuma Nobanda

Court
Limpopo man accused of murdering his girlfriend appears in court
21 May 2021, 4:50 PM

The family of a 35-year-old woman from Lenyenye in Limpopo, who died after her boyfriend allegedly doused her with petrol and set her alight, say they are heartbroken.

Lindiwe Mogale from Tickyline village was allegedly attacked by the suspect following an argument on the 6th of May. Mogale succumbed to her injuries on Friday last week.

Lindiwe Mogale’s murder sent shockwaves to the community. She succumbed to third degree burn wounds at Mankweng Hospital.

The family says the couple had a series of arguments before her death. Mogale was allegedly doused with petrol by her boyfriend and suspect, Matome Modiba, after an argument. Her uncle Maile Mogale says they are devastated.

“The manner in which she died, from being doused with petrol is unusual, the boyfriend should have walked away from the relationship without killing her. The two were together for a while but they should have ended the relationship, Lindiwe loved people, she was always laughing.”

The suspect made an appearance at the Magistrate’s Court on murder charges and arson.

Police spokesperson Motlafela Mojapelo says the suspect will apply for bail on the 28th of May.

“A thirty-year-old man Matome Modiba who was arrested for allegedly killing a woman by setting her alight appeared in Naphuno Magistrate’s Court on charges of murder and arson. He was remanded in custody until Friday the 28th of May for bail application and further police investigations.”

Mogale will be buried on Saturday at Lenyenye. Investigations into the murder and arson case are continuing.

Sports facility officially handed over to Beaufort West community
21 May 2021, 4:24 PM

A multi-purpose sports facility has officially been handed over to the community of Beaufort West in the Central Karoo. This comes four years after the local Under-15 netball and rugby teams won the facility when they played at the 2017 Rural Sport Development National Championships in Polokwane.

Rather late than never. The state-of-the-art, multi-million rand sports facility can accommodate five different codes; netball, basketball, volleyball, tennis and soccer.

Beaufort West is rife with unemployment and crime and it is hoped the facility will motivate the youth to get off the streets and develop their sports skills. It was officially handed over by the Deputy Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture Nocawe Mafu.

“South African communities right now are besieged by drugs, high unemployment of young people.  We want them to look at this sports facility, it can lift up their spirits. Those who want to be better sportsmen in the future, they must use it. We also hope it will take them out of the streets to be able to play sports, rather than indulge in drugs,” says Mafu.

The Secretary of the Central Karoo District Sports Council, Vergil Groepe, says they will administrate the facility, while the local rugby club, together with the municipality, will maintain it.

“Our children, even our senior players will welcome it will all their hearts.  They never saw such things in their life. This will definitely benefit our youngsters, our senior players.  If we look at codes like volleyball, basketball, that they’ll be able to play here, that will develop.”

Siphamandla Piti was captain of the winning Under-15 rugby team at the 2017 Rural Sport Development Championships. He says it has been a long wait, but he is excited to start developing his basketball skills.

“We’re going to benefit a lot from it because it is something that we wanted as a community to be here.  None of our children are going to be on the streets, doing drugs, they’re going to be able to do something with their lives after school.  So it’s something that is good for our community.”

This facility comes just in time for the local netball players to prepare for the 2023 Netball World Cup being held in Cape Town.

Police
Pregnant woman allegedly raped at Embuleni hospital in Mpumalanga
21 May 2021, 3:41 PM

The safety of patients in Mpumalanga hospitals is again in the spotlight. This is after a pregnant patient was allegedly raped by a general worker at the Embhuleni Hospital in Nhlazatshe near Emanzana last week. It is alleged that the perpetrator pretended to be a doctor before raping her.

A  group of Nhlazatshe residents chanted slogans outside the Embhuleni Hospital, calling on the management of the hospital to improve the security and safety of patients. It is alleged that a male employee, who is a cleaner, raped a pregnant woman who was at the hospital for medical attention.

“We are here to demand the safety of the residents in this hospital in what has happened. We want the hospital, in every corner, to have cameras so that our community is safe.”

“Our concern is that we don’t know what happened, we don’t know what is happening and we don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow. We as the community are afraid and scared as we are using this hospital. We want to know what will happen, what is the management saying or what is the management doing about this,” says a community member.

The Department of Health says the alleged perpetrator has been suspended.

Health Spokesperson in Mpumalanga Dumisani Malamule says, “Apparently someone pretended to be a doctor and offered to examine the patient. When we established further we discovered that he is one of our employees who is a cleaner at the hospital. What happened is something that is already under police investigation. But as a department as soon as the matter was reported, the employee has since been suspended pending an investigation. As the department, we will allow the law to take its course.”

Police Spokesperson Leonard Hlathi has confirmed that they are investigating a case of rape. Hlathi says it is not the first time that the alleged perpetrator is accused of rape.

“What troubles us so much is that it is not the first time that we are dealing with him on similar issues. During November there was another case that was opened against him. We arrested him this year 2021 February and we have taken him to court, however, there were technicalities that the prosecution says that we need to complete. We are busy with those instructions of the prosecution. But now he has raped somebody else. Well, we will be doing our job and we are hopeful that we will arrest him soon.”

Police have called on other people who may have been victims of the suspect to report to the local police station.

Police
Ga-Rankuwa residents march against crime in the area
21 May 2021, 2:23 PM

Ga-Rankuwa residents, fed up with crime, have marched to air their grievances. A memorandum was handed to the local police. Among the crimes are robberies, burglaries and rapes, all coupled with alleged indifference by the police.

The aim of the march was to highlight the rising number of daily hijackings, robberies and muggings. Criminals also set up spikes on roads to rob unsuspecting motorists. Ga-Rankuwa Against Crime convener, Olebogeng Peete says the community has had enough of crime in their area.

“There is a lot of rampant armed robberies around the township. Slow or no response by the police to crime reports. The sale of drugs, cable theft and vandalism of infrastructure and also proliferation of a number of undocumented foreigners in Ga-Rankuwa and which also we look at street lights not working which also is the cause of all the problems that are related to the crime that we are having.”

Residents too are up in arms.

“We felt marginalised and we felt that the police station in Ga-Rankuwa is not serving the interest of the people.”

“I have decided to come to the march because of crime that is affecting us and our children. They sell drugs, nyaope everywhere.”

Residents will receive a response within seven working days,  according to Colonel Azwinpheleli Muliwa, who received the memorandum of grievances.

“We appreciate to receive their concerns because all what they said is what we must implement and what we are here for, we are here to make sure that our communities are safe and protected. And then in this memorandum I really appreciate all of them for coming here to bring this memorandum and from here we are going to sit down as a management of Ga-Rankuwa police station and we will discuss about this memorandum, point by point, then after we come with the solution.”

The march ended peacefully.

Angie Motshekga
Basic Education plans for standardisation of assessments at advanced stage: Motshekga
20 May 2021, 9:00 PM

Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga has told Parliament that plans are at an advanced stage for the standardisation of assessments for grade three, six and nine.

This will be accompanied by the introduction of a general education certificate before grade nine.

Motshekga says this is being done to avoid pupils only encountering a standardised exam at grade twelve.

“We have already produced the policy for the general education and Umalusi is in the process of evaluating it. We will be gazetting it and invite comments of the GEC certificate and it will be piloted or it will be implemented quite soon. We will keep the house updated.”

Weather

 

SABC © 2021