For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Bomkazi Malobola (Page 7)

Author Archives: Bomkazi Malobola

Majority of political parties not receiving direct donations from individuals: IEC
9 September 2021, 2:49 PM

The majority of political parties in South Africa are not receiving much in direct donations from private individuals.

This was revealed by the Electoral Commission (IEC) in its first quarterly report detailing all declarations made by political parties in line with the Political Funding Act.

The Act, which came into force in April 2021, requires political parties and their donors to disclose to the IEC donations of above R100 000 and the IEC to publish this information every three months.

IEC briefing on political party funding:

Head of IEC’s Political Party Funding Unit George Mahlangu, “At the time of the preparation of this report we had 504 registered political parties represented and unrepresented of those of course three have submitted the declarations as per the statement. 108 parties have responded to our correspondence that they have not received donations that require declaration and 393 parties did not respond to our correspondence.”

LGE set for 1 November

Yesterday, Cooperative Governance Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma announced that the local government elections will take place on 1 November.

The date will be officially proclaimed on September 20, following the scheduled voter registration weekend later this month.

Minister Dlamini-Zuma’s briefing on elections: 


The official proclamation effectively closes the voters roll and therefore voters can still register for the polls until that date.

Dlamini-Zuma said, “After consultation with the IEC, we have come to the determination that this year’s local government will be held on the 1st of November 2021. This is in accordance with the constitution read with the Municipal Structures Act as the Act prescribes that the election be held within 90 days from the end of the five year-term of local government. We will officially proclaim this date on the 20th of September 2021 after the voter registration weekend.”

Taliban fire in air to scatter hundreds of protesters in Kabul
7 September 2021, 9:25 PM

Taliban gunmen fired in the air on Tuesday to scatter protesters in the Afghan capital Kabul, witnesses said, as video showed scores scurrying to escape volleys of gunfire.

Hundreds of men and women shouting slogans such as “Long live the resistance” and “Death to Pakistan” marched in the streets to protest against the Taliban takeover.

Neighbouring Pakistan has deep ties with the Taliban and has been accused of assisting the Islamist group’s return to power – charges it denies.

“The Islamic government is shooting at our poor people,” one panic-stricken woman on the street says over sounds of gunfire in a video clip shown on Iranian television news. There were no immediate reports of injuries, however.

The Taliban’s rapid advance across Afghanistan as US forces pulled out last month triggered a scramble to leave by people fearing reprisals.

Taliban to hold inauguration ceremony for new government: Officials

US-led foreign forces evacuated about 124 000 foreigners and at-risk Afghans, but tens of thousands were left behind.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the United States was in contact with about 100 Americans who were still in Afghanistan.

About 1,000 people, including Americans, have been stuck in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif for days awaiting clearance for charter flights to leave, an organiser told Reuters, blaming the delay on the US State Department.

Blinken, holding talks in Qatar, a key interlocutor with the Taliban, said the problem was one of documents.

“My understanding is that the Taliban have not denied exit to anyone holding a valid document, but they have said those without valid documents, at this point, can’t leave,” he told reporters.

sabc news Zuma walking
AfriForum demands answers regarding Zuma’s medical parole
7 September 2021, 7:05 PM

Civil rights organisation, AfriForum, has sent a lawyer’s letter to the National Commissioner of Correctional Services, Arthur Fraser, urgently requesting answers, within three days, regarding former President, Jacob Zuma’s medical parole.

AfriForum Head of Policy and Action, Ernst Roets says they want to know if  Zuma suffers from a terminal disease.

Former President Jacob Zuma placed on medical parole

If not, they want the details of the injury, disease or illness which justified Zuma’s medical parole.

Afriforum further wants to know how Fraser came to the conclusion that Zuma will not transgress again.

Roets says they’ve also requested copies of the application for medical parole and the medical report that followed.

“One would have guessed with a matter as sensitive and high profile as this one, the Department of Correctional Services would have taken extra care to make sure there are no unanswered questions by the public as to why former President Jacob Zuma was released on medical parole,” says Roets.

Roets says questions the legality of Zuma’s release.

“It appears that the contrary has happened and it seems as if the legal requirements were not followed with this decision, which is why AfriForum submitted an urgent attorneys letter on the department in which we ask for answers to be provided by the 10th of September. Depending on the answers we receive, we will decide if further legal action is necessary,” adds Roets.

Experts have described his release as a distraction to bigger issues that are confronting the country.

The Department of Correctional Services granted Zuma medical parole on Sunday on the basis of a medical report it received from his doctors.

Zuma parole | Ulrich Roux on what exactly medical parole entails

 

Former President Zuma’s release on medical parole sparks mixed reactions from KZN residents

 

 

 

France mourns “immortal” Belmondo, will pay national tribute on Thursday
7 September 2021, 5:27 PM

Fans and stars paid tribute to Jean-Paul Belmondo on Tuesday, saying the charismatic French actor, who died on Monday aged 88, would live on forever in people’s minds and on screen.

Belmondo, who shot to international fame as a star of New Wave cinema after his breakthrough performance in Jean-Luc Godard’s “A bout de souffle” (“Breathless”) in 1959, had, for decades, been one of France’s most popular actors.

“He’s immortal,” fan Bruno Fougeroux said. “It’s the magic of cinema, you can keep on watching his movies forever. For me, Jean-Paul Belmondo will always be alive.”

President Emmanuel Macron tweeted on Monday that the actor, who switched in the 1960s to mainstream films and became one of France’s leading comedy and action heroes, was a “national treasure”.

Alain Delon, also one of the greats of France’s cinema, told Europe 1 radio he was devastated.

“We have made French cinema, the two of us, he and I, we are two icons of French cinema, you can’t speak of one without the other. We are the same age, it won’t be long before it happens to me too,” he said, visibly moved.

An official ceremony will be organised on Thursday at the Hotel National des Invalides on Sept 9, the French presidency said.

On the streets of Paris, fans said he would be dearly missed. “He’s our Clint Eastwood, he’s a big man,” taxi driver Koffi Blimoli said.

A few years ago, another US movie director, Quentin Tarantino, paid a tribute to Belmondo which circulated widely on social media on Tuesday.
South Africa’s economy grew by 1.2% in Q2:2021
7 September 2021, 4:02 PM

Statistics South Africa (Stats SA) has released the gross domestic product (GDP) figure for the second quarter, which shows economic growth of 1.2% quarter-on-quarter and 19.3% year-on-year, compared with minus 2.6% year-on-year in the first quarter.

However, the GDP figure must be seen in the context of Statistics South Africa having recently rebased GDP to ensure that it remains reflective of the South African economy, given structural changes that occur in the economy over time.

Despite 4 consecutive quarters of growth, the #economy is 1,4% smaller than it was before the #COVID19 pandemic. Join DDG: Econ Stats Joe de Beer on @radio786online at 12h12 as he unpacks the latest #GDP figures.

Read more here: https://t.co/iDDm3vcTO1 pic.twitter.com/uDXulWLVtZ

— Stats SA (@StatsSA) September 7, 2021

This means that Stats SA is using 2015 as the new base year for GDP.

In August, Statistics South Africa said the revised level of GDP at current prices shows that the South African economy was 11% larger in 2020 than previously estimated.

The upward GDP level revision came after Stats SA finalised an overhaul of its national accounts through a rebasing and benchmarking exercise.

Stats SA said the rebasing exercises ensure that the tools used to measure GDP takes into account the changing face of the economy and Industries.

Chief Director at Stats SA, Micheal Manamela says rebasing exercise still shows the severe impact of COVID-19 in 2020 –  which resulted in a now revised 6,4% contraction of the economy.

“If you look at the different years, we’ve revised for many years. So I was giving you the 9,2% which was for the base year which is 2015.  In 2011 indeed it was up by 11%. So our survey program we’ve got our monthly survey which is there to assist you to measure quarterly growth, they’re not very comprehensive. For example, all you have is to say maybe for this type of retailer what was their sales? But it doesn’t give you the correct measure or accurate measure of the concept of GDP which is basically value-added.”

Weather

 

SABC © 2021