For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Tshepiso Moche

Author Archives: Tshepiso Moche

Estranged wife testified against me out of bitterness and malice: Malusi Gigaba
18 June 2021, 12:38 PM

Former Public Enterprises minister, Malusi Gigaba says he believes his now estranged wife, Noma had testified against him at the State Capture Commission out of bitterness and malice.

Noma Mngoma, in her recent testimony, said that the Gupta family had gifted Gigaba with jewellery, a vehicle and bags of cash, among others.

The former minister was testifying at the Commission in Parktown, Johannesburg, on Friday.

“That anger and bitterness about not being able to extract more settlement prove that this is the person who came here to say when he was the minister he used to give me money. Now that he is no longer a minister and probably no longer has the ability to help me afford that type of lifestyle, I should therefore demand this lifestyle or a payment.”

“She does have money, lots of it. But this is a person who loves money and wants more of it and is angry that I cannot afford to spend all my future savings today [at the present moment] ,” adds Gigaba.

Live proceedings below:

She testified against me because divorce settlement did not go her way

Gigaba told the commission that Mngoma testified against him because their divorce settlement did not go her way.

On Thursday night, Gigaba was cross-examined on his estranged wife’s earlier evidence.

In her testimony,  Mngoma said Gigaba had asked police to confiscate her gadgets and destroy all pictures of their trips to Mauritius and Dubai.

This was allegedly to conceal evidence from the commission on the trips allegedly paid for by Ajay Gupta and former South African Airways (SAA) board chairperson Dudu Myeni.

But in his rebuttal, Gigaba said Mngoma mentioned all this because she is bitter.

Mngoma testified that Gigaba agreed on a divorce settlement expecting her not to testify against him at the commission.

Thursday’s proceedings:

Primary school principal shot dead at Gauteng school
18 June 2021, 11:10 AM

Police are investigating a shooting incident where a principal at a primary school at Ennerdale south of Johannesburg has died.

Gauteng  Education Mec Panyaza Lesufi has tweeted that the principal of a Finetown primary school has been shot and killed. Lesufi is at the school and is briefing the media on the incident.

 

Police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubele says police are on the scene where a man was found dead in a car with multiple gunshot wounds.

“Police were this morning at 07:00 informed that there was a shooting at a primary school at Ennerdale. Upon arrival police [found] a Mercedes Benz idling and there was a person in the driver’s seat. He was shot several times.”

“The motive of the incident is unknown at the moment. Police are investigating a case of murder. Police are calling for anyone with information to contact the nearest police station. Our investigation continues,” explains Makhubele.

In the video below, Lesufi visits the school:

Sewage spillage continues in Galeshewe in Northern Cape
18 June 2021, 10:50 AM

Sewage spillage continues to cause a stink for Galeshewe residents in the Northern Cape.

Streets are drenched in filth, promises by Kimberley’s Sol Plaatje Municipality to fix the problem have failed.

Just over a week ago, the SABC brought you the story of the Northern Cape Department of Agriculture, Environment Affairs, Rural Development and Land Reform hauling three municipalities to court for environmental violations.

Sol Plaatje is also on the radar of the department.

Earlier this month, municipal spokesperson Sello Matsie said, “The contractor has already been on-site for quite a while now. When I say next week, it’s actually the completion of the repair works of Gogga. Under normal circumstances, sewer should not be flowing into undesignated areas and that is also inclusive of Gogga.”

Three Northern Cape municipalities have been taken to court for environmental violations:

Military Health Service roped in to assist Gauteng as COVID-19 positive cases increase
18 June 2021, 9:04 AM

Acting Health Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane says the Military Health Service has been roped in to assist the sector in preparing for further increases in coronavirus cases across Gauteng.

Of the 11 767 new cases reported in the last 24-hours nationwide, 7 502 are from Gauteng.

Kubayi-Ngubane has appealed to Gauteng residents to strictly adhere to COVID-19 health protocols amid a rise in infections across the province.

“I would really want to appeal, can we respond and save the lives of many South Africans in your province as the health practitioners are starting to be under pressure. We have requested additional capacity to assist Gauteng in terms of military help that has moved into the province to assist us by moving into the hospitals.”

“We need the human capital for the beds we are making available for managing the pandemic. The second area they will assist us in, is around mass testing, screening and contact tracing,” explains the minister.

The Acting Minister of Health together with a panel of experts have been briefing the media on the progress of government’s efforts in the fight against COVID-19, including an update on the national vaccination roll out programme.

Briefing below:

On vaccines

Kubayi-Ngubane says a consignment of vaccines, intended to inoculate teachers, arrived in South Africa on Thursday.

It comes amid concerns over a rise in the number of COVID-19 cases at schools, with both educators and learners having been infected.

The acting minister says, “We are able to talk about the President announcing the 300 000 vaccines that will arrive. I can confirm that happened on Thursday at 17:45. We received the consignment that arrived in the country. It has been identified to assist us with teachers and others who work on the front lines such as the police.”

Latest SA Stats:

 

Loading...

Loading…

President Ramaphosa declares 10 days of mourning to honour Kaunda
18 June 2021, 7:45 AM

President Cyril Ramaphosa has declared 10 days of mourning to honour the late former Zambian President, Kenneth Kaunda.

The elderly statesman succumbed to pneumonia while in a hospital in Lusaka on Thursday.

Kaunda was Zambia’s first democratically elected president post-independence from Britain.

His family has expressed gratitude for the prayers and support since his hospitalisation last week.

President Ramaphosa has ordered that all national flags be flown at half-mast in remembrance of Kaunda.

“President Kaunda was a pioneering champion of a decolonised, united and prosperous Africa. He represented his country and our continent with distinction on global platforms.”

“In remembrance of this great leader, we have decided to declare a period of mourning for 10 days in his memory and for that 10 day period, our national flag will fly at half-mast,” says the President in a statement.

Kenneth Kaunda’s obituary:

On Thursday, Zambian President Edgar Lungu declared 21 days of national mourning for his country following the death of Kaunda.

Kaunda was instrumental in assisting other Southern African countries gain independence from minority rule.

Secretary of Cabinet, Simon Miti, says all funeral and memorial events will be communicated at a later stage.

Kenneth Kaunda photo gallery:

Weather

 

SABC © 2021