For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Sesona Mahlahla (Page 6)

Author Archives: Sesona Mahlahla

UCT students say possible mandatory vaccine policy will infringe rights
16 September 2021, 12:29 PM

Some students at the University of Cape Town (UCT) say a possible plan to implement a policy that will require students to be vaccinated against COVID-19 before registering at the institution will infringe on the rights of students.

UCT confirmed that a proposal on mandatory vaccinations will be considered by its senate during a meeting on Friday.

The institution says it’s expected that the matter will be debated fully before its council makes a final decision.

Student Arthur Kitonga says the decision to receive the vaccine should be a personal choice.

“The University’s implementation of mandatory vaccinations, I don’t think it’s a good policy, because in terms of vaccination it should be a personal choice and not mandatory. I think if they put incentives like if you get vaccinated, you’ll be allowed to come to in-person classes or anything, then I mean if you put an incentive then it will make sense for someone to vaccinate and not just force someone to vaccinate against their will,” says Kitonga.

SA will struggle to protect citizens from mandatory vaccines: Expert

Some students at the University of Cape Town say they agree with the proposal.

Fourth-year student Mogammad Brinkhuis says mandatory vaccinations will foster a sense of normality on campus.

“With regards to the vaccination before registering, I feel like that’s the way forward. That’s the way we should go, because I mean, what you going to do, you going to test for COVID every week, because you don’t believe it, but there are literally people dying from COVID every single day. So I believe fully with that because that’s the way forward and that’s the way back to normality,” says Brinkhuis.

Should we all be forced to carry proof of vaccination: Prof. Sylvester Chima

Durban families displaced by 2019 floods still without basic needs in temporary shelter
16 September 2021, 11:08 AM

Families that were displaced during the 2019 floods in Durban say they are still without basic needs in their temporary shelter. Thousands of flood victims were left displaced and without food during torrential rains that hit Durban and surrounding areas.

Some of the displaced victims were placed in temporary shelters across the city, while others were taken in by generous neighbours. The families that were temporarily housed in tents in Reservoir Hills were moved last year and placed in a transit camp nearby.

Flood victim Thembelihle Chonco says life is still difficult for them.

“We have been living in a tent for a long time before we were moved here to this place. We have been staying here ever since and we were promised that they will provide everything for us like electricity so we have been waiting until today. They come and go as if there’s something they’ll do but there’s no answer as to what is going on. So we’re staying here with the hopes that one day they will remember us because life here is very difficult for us,” says Chonco.

KwaZulu-Natal flood devastation:

Community leader Ntsikelelo Mofokeng says currently there are over 2 000 families sharing a few toilets which sometimes don’t even work.

Mofokeng says people are tired of empty promises.

“We are tired of empty promises. Whenever we ask about electricity we’re told that there’s no material yet but other places are receiving electricity and we have a problem with toilets, we have very few toilets compared to the people who live here. There are probably over 2000 people who live here because more shacks are being built. Families grow and that puts pressure on toilets. Currently, there are three or four toilets that work, the rest or not working,” says Mofokeng.

KwaZulu-Natal floods revisited | SABC revisits Empolweni after tragic floods:

Access to decent housing still a dream for Ga-Makua residents in Limpopo
16 September 2021, 10:17 AM

Access to decent housing remains an unattainable dream for residents of the small community of Ga-Makua settlement outside Groblersdaal in Limpopo, 27 years into democracy. The village started decades ago when farm workers settled on a farm.

The community has no electricity and sanitation and lives in mud houses. They allege that the owner of the farm has been barring government structures from rendering services in the area.

Patrick Makua and Mapula Mohlape, who are part of the third generation of residents of the farm, feel they have hit a brick wall in their attempts to seek development for the area.

They say officials from the local Elias Motsoaledi Municipality have told them that without written consent from the landowner, government is unable to render any service to the area.

“Our lives are not safe, we have gone many times to the municipality to ask for help but we don’t get the help they say the farm owner refuses because it’s his land so I don’t know where to go. We don’t have any place to go we stay here we grow here,” says a resident.

Special focus | Housing and its role in driving South Africa’s development:

“The housing is really bad, if it’s raining the housing is falling down and we are still going to toilet in the wild,” says another resident.

Spokesperson of the Elias Motsoaledi Municipality, Simon Makua says their hands are tied as all agreements reached with the landowner have thus far never been implemented as the landowner always reneges on them.

“At our last meeting we agreed that when the municipality brings service there, he must write a consent letter but to our surprise when we tried to take VIP toilets from Sekhukhune to gaMakua he refused us to enter that area, he said he don’t want anything in his private land. The title deed belongs to the landowner and as government, it is a challenge to render services on privately owned land,” says Makua.

Addressing the problem of essential housing in South Africa:

 

Unpaid ANC workers say they will not be able to assist with election preparations
16 September 2021, 8:55 AM

African National Congress (ANC) workers who have not yet been paid their salaries say they will not be able to assist with election preparations unless they have the financial means to travel to work.

A number of ANC employees say they have still not received their July and August salaries.

ANC Staff Representative Mvusi Mdlala says, “Some of our staff have been paid and others are still waiting for their salaries. We are being owed the July and August salaries.”

“We are not withholding our labour. Remember, for a person to go to work, you must have money for a taxi or for petrol. If you haven’t received a salary for two months, you have no other option but to stay at home. We are not withholding the labour, the employer is failing to meet its obligation to ensure you are at work. Even if one person doesn’t contribute towards a successful election campaign, it is going to have an impact.”

DISCUSSION | UIF deduction claims against ANC: Adv Modidima Mannya and Sean Hefferman

Meanwhile, the ANC says it is doing all in its power to resolve the concerns that are being brought by its members. Some members are threatening not to vote in the upcoming Local Government Elections.

Members protested outside Luthuli House in Johannesburg on Wednesday against the party’s Councillor candidate selection process.

They say the process was fraught with corruption and they are accusing their Provincial List Committees of failing to help them.

ANC Spokesperson Pule Mabe says not voting would be detrimental to communities.

“When you don’t vote in your own ward it is not the ANC you are dealing with. You are dealing with yourself because the delivery of services done through an ANC councillor, impact on your own living condition. If you are so willing that you can give away the livelihood of a community where you stay because there are disputes, then you must be comfortable being led by different people in your own community,” says Mabe.

LGE 2021 | ANC’s Pule Mabe briefs media on the party’s candidate list

 

 

 

 

COSAS disappointed with amendment of matric exam timetable ahead of LGE
16 September 2021, 8:51 AM

The Congress of South African Students (COSAS), has voiced disappointment in the Basic Education Department’s decision to amend the matric exam timetable to accommodate the Local Government Elections.

The final National Senior Certificate examinations are due to start on October 27 rather than November 1 as initially scheduled.

The Department says the amendments will allow for learners who are eligible to vote to cast their ballots.

Matric exams to start earlier than scheduled

However, COSAS’ National spokesperson Douglas Ngobeni says the department should have considered moving the exam date to allow learners more time to focus on studying.

“The department makes an amendment which means they have to squeeze a lot of major subjects in one week so to accommodate the LGE. Let us at least consider our matriculants who are 18 and above who have registered on the special voters roll. During that week, a lot of our learners will be writing their major subjects. After voting they will have to go back to study. The Department of Basic Education should have considered moving the exams after the elections so that learners have got enough time.

Basic Education spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga clarifies the date change for 2021 matric exams:

Weather

 

SABC © 2021