Chinese Embassy to dedicate resources in finding missing SA student
10 February 2020, 2:13 PM
The Chinese Embassy in South African says resources have been mobilised following the disappearance of a South African student in that country two weeks ago.
According to the Chinese government the missing student, Alfa Mpetsheni, graduated from the Zhejiang Gongshang University in Hangzhou, in Zhejiang province in June last year.
According to the latest records of China’s entry-exit administration, the student flew from Shanghai to Bangkok in Thailand on the 26th of last month.
China says it has dedicated resources to protecting foreign nationals in China from the coronavirus.
To date, 19 foreigners in China have contracted the virus, of whom two have died.
Concerns around Mpetsheni come after a South African student was trapped in the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak.
The Hubei University student, Kamohelo Taole, called on the South African government to assist him get home.
Gauteng floods claim two lives, leave hundreds stranded
10 February 2020, 12:30 AM
Two people, including an eight-year-old girl have been confirmed dead in Gauteng following this weekend’s floods. At the same time a woman from Kagiso, west of Johannesburg, is still missing and presumed dead.
Heavy rains have wreaked havoc since Friday, leaving hundreds of people without shelter, especially in informal settlements in Alexandra and Soweto.
Officials say Kliptown has the highest number of displaced people.
The mother of eight-year-old Lindiwe Golelmin who drowned during the weekend’s flash floods says her other daughter who witnessed the incident is still extremely traumatized. The child died on Friday while crossing a stream near her home in Mhlangeni Informal settlement in Roodeport, west of Johannesburg.
Her body was found on Saturday following a search by Emergency Medical Services. Her mother Maria Golelmin says her child was trying to cross a makeshift wooden bridge with her elder sister.
“They wanted to cross over to this side. There’s a bridge over the stream that allows for people to cross. As they were crossing over, the bridge collapsed and they fell into the water. Zikhona tried to pull her out but she struggled and then Lindiwe was swept away by the water,” explains Golelmin.
She says her elder daughter is haunted by the images of the water sweeping her little sister away.
“Zikhona is not well. She cannot sleep at night because of what she saw. Lindiwe was a quiet child. She enjoyed playing. She loved her siblings and she was polite and well-mannered,” says Golelmin.
The eight-year-old girl is one of the two people confirmed dead in Gauteng following this weekend’s floods.
However, a woman from Kagiso, west of Johannesburg, is still missing and presumed dead.
Gauteng Disaster Management‘s Elias Sithole says, “One is an 8-year-old school-going girl. She is from the Princess informal settlement. The other gentleman is from Douglasdale. He is between the ages 30 and 35 years. He died on Saturday. Unfortunately, we have got one fatality in the West Rand, but the search and rescue teams are looking for the lady washed away by the floods.”
Meanwhile, in Kliptown, Soweto residents severely affected by the floods sought refuge at the local Walter Sisulu Community Hall. The residents say they fear for their safety should the rain persist, but they have no choice but to stay in these structures which offer them little protection against severe weather conditions.
Watch video below for more on the story:
EFF against Mkhwebane’s removal from office
10 February 2020, 12:00 AM
Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema says he’s party will make sure that the Democratic Alliance’s (DA) move to have Public Protector Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane removed from office does not succeed.
The National Assembly Rules that were passed towards the end of 2019 outline the processes that have to be followed to initiate the removal of heads Chapter 9 institutions.
Malema says there’s a united action by the DA and the President Cyril Ramaphosa faction of the ANC to see Mkhwebane out because of the findings she has made against Ramaphosa on the CR17 campaign Bosasa donation.
“We are aware that parliament has entered the frivolous motion of DA to remove advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane as the Public Protector. We’ll oppose this move, which is a united action by the DA and the Ramaphosa faction in the ANC to the end. We have no doubt that this motion will be defeated,” says Malema.
Watch the video below for more on the story:
EFF’s Ndlozi hangs up the mic as party spokesperson
9 February 2020, 11:00 PM
Doctor Mbuyiseni Ndlozi has hung up his mic as the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) National Spokesperson. He made the announcement at the media briefing in Centurion, south of Pretoria.
Ndlozi, however, says he’s not leaving the EFF.
He’ll head the party’s political education.
Vuyani Pambo and Delisile Ngwenya have taken over from him.
These were Ndlozi’s final words to the media.
“I just want to thank you, colleagues, for the good relations we had, and even for the bad ones. Mr President has said for those we are not apologetic, andiyi ndawo. I’m duly elected Commissar of the EFF and I’m still around and will work for this organization because it’s the future and no one can stop it. I want to wish both commissars, Delisile Ngwenya and Vuyani Pambo the best and please treat them well,” says Ndlozi.
Meanwhile, EFF leader Julius Malema says his party will make sure that the DA’s move to have Public Protector Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane removed from office does not succeed.
The National Assembly Rules that were passed towards the end of 2019 outline the processes that have to be followed to initiate the removal of heads of Chapter 9 institutions.
Malema says there’s a united action by the DA and President Cyril Ramaphosa faction of the ANC to see Mkhwebane out because of the findings she has made against Ramaphosa on the CR17 campaign Bosasa donation.
Addressing the media in Centurion, south of Pretoria, Malema said Mkhwebane was going nowhere.
“We are aware that parliament has entered the frivolous motion of the DA to remove Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane as the Public Protector. We’ll oppose this move, which is a united action by the DA and the Ramaphosa faction in the ANC to the end. We have no doubt that this motion will be defeated.”
Eskom lifts Stage 2 load shedding
9 February 2020, 9:03 PM
Eskom has lifted Stage 2 load shedding as emergency reserves have adequately recovered to allow for a reduction in the depth of load shedding. It says it will move to Stage 1 from Monday morning.
The power utility, however, says the risk for load shedding for the week remains.
Eskom will provide an update on Monday afternoon on the prognosis for the rest of the week.
Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema says former Eskom acting Board Chairperson and CEO Jabu Mabuza and Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan misled President Cyril Ramaphosa on load shedding.
This after Ramaphosa assured South Africans that there would be no load shedding until January the 13th.