The family of the late freedom fighter, Solomon Mahlangu, says it will be approaching the courts in order for an investigation to be re-opened on the circumstances that led his death.
Today marks 42 years since Mahlangu died in the hands of the apartheid police in Pretoria, at the age of 22.
Family spokesperson, Prince George Mahlangu, says for them to find closure, more light must be shared on what led to Mahlangu’s death.
“As the family, we would like to re-open the case of Kalushi. So that the whole country can know the truth. Because often the story is not told in its fullest context. So as the family, we intend to re-open the case so that it can be retried so that we can have closure in that regard,” Mahlangu says.
Earlier on Tuesday morning, ANC leaders, including Treasurer-General Paul Mashatile and Deputy Secretary General, Jessie Duarte, visited the Kgosi Mampuru II Correctional Centre in Pretoria, commemorating the life and times of Mahlangu.
More on the commemoration in the video below:
Below is the ANC’s statement on their plans for Mahlangu’s remembrance: