Eastern Cape Traditional Affairs MEC Xolile Nqatha has expressed shock at the CRL Rights Commission’s declaration to shut down 15 initiation schools in four regions of the province. CRL Rights Commission Chairperson David Mosoma has called on communities to help put an end to non-compliant initiation schools.
This is after the recent deaths of at least 22 initiates in the province.
Nqatha says they were not consulted as stakeholders.
“We are taken aback and surprised because for any proper decision, a proper protocol needs to be followed. We call upon the commission to engage with us. No such decision was raised with us, at a technical level, nor with the political leadership of the province.”
The commission called an urgent meeting earlier on Thursday after the announcement of the deaths.
Mosoma says the deaths could have been avoided had all concerned parties taken seriously the report that the commission previously released.
Mosoma also says the initiates that are still in the affected schools should be evacuated.
“CRL Commission declares the suspension of the initiation schools and practice for a year in four areas in the Eastern Cape, especially where deaths occurred until compliance matters are comprehensively addressed.”