For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Busisiwe Radebe (Page 7)

Author Archives: Busisiwe Radebe

Eskom
Eskom to place those responsible for explosion at Medupi on precautionary suspension
9 August 2021, 8:12 PM

Eskom says it will be placing those responsible – for an alleged deviation in maintenance operations at Unit Four of the Medupi power station that appears to have led to the damaging explosion – on precautionary suspension. The explosion caused extensive damage to Unit Four.

The suspensions will be pending an investigation. The incident also caused Unit 5 to trip.

Eskom says it will keep the public up to date on any effect that the incident will have on the power supply.

Eskom spokesperson Sikhonathi Mantshantsha explains:

“The incident occurred during an activity to displace hydrogen with carbon dioxide and air respectively for the purposes of finding an external leak. Following a preliminary investigation, it appears that while performing this activity, the air was introduced into the generator at a point where hydrogen was still present in the generator which had sufficient quantities to create an explosion. Eskom has undertaken to place those employees who were responsible to manage and execute this work under precautionary suspension pending the conclusion of the investigation.”

In the video below Eskom confirms that Unit 4 of its Medupi Power station experienced an explosion:

Ramaphosa urges nation to break cycle of poverty affecting women
9 August 2021, 3:47 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa has urged the nation to break the cycle of poverty affecting millions of South African women.

This comes as the country marks 65 years since women took a stand against the apartheid pass system in South Africa, with a march to the Union Buildings.

Writing in his weekly letter on Women’s Day, Ramaphosa, says gender equality cannot be achieved without economic emancipation.

He has called on all sectors of society to take ownership and implement the National Strategic Plan, or NSP, that was launched last year. The NSP recognises that the economic empowerment of women is key to combating gender-based violence and femicide.

Earlier, the President acknowledged the negative financial impact the coronavirus pandemic has had on women – saying government is working to ensure that women benefit from the country’s economic recovery plan.

“The coronavirus pandemic has been particularly harsh on women and children. When growth at the economic level stalls and when the economy loses jobs, we know that it is women who bear the brunt disproportionately. We know that the levels of employment and income among women have not recovered as fast as their male counterparts.

We are therefore working to ensure that women benefit from the most recent relief measures and from our economic reconstruction and recovery plan.”

Virtual Women’s Day celebrations:

At least 51 killed in Mali village raids, district official says
9 August 2021, 2:32 PM

At least 51 people were killed when militants raided three villages in central Mali near the border with Niger, a district administrator said on Monday.

The towns of Ouatagouna, Karou, and Deouteguef were simultaneously attacked around 6 p.m. on Sunday, according to a note from the Asongo district administrator to the governor of Gao region.

Houses were ransacked and burned to the ground and herds of livestock carried away, said the note, which was seen by Reuters.

“Provisional toll is 51 killed, several other injured,” it said.

No group has yet taken responsibility for the attacks in the area where Malian troops, French and European forces, and UnitedNations peacekeepers have been battling insurgents linked to the Islamic State and al Qaeda.

Mali’s army spokesperson Colonel Souleymane Dembele confirmed the attacks but gave no further details.

Other local sources told Reuters that militants stationed themselves at the towns’ entrances and fired indiscriminately upon civilians.

The administrator said Malian troops were sweeping the area. He also requested military escort to “help with the funerals, reassure the populations and offer condolences to the bereaved families,” according to the note.

IEC to push for deferring elections to February
4 August 2021, 1:51 PM

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) says while it will publish the election timetable following the proclamation of the 27th of October as the election date, it will push for the deferring of elections to February 2022 as recommended by the Moseneke Inquiry.

INFOGRAPHIC: Moseneke’s report:

IEC Chairperson Glen Mashinini says that the Commission is filing an urgent application in the Constitutional Court because the alternative of an amendment of the Constitution is not feasible.

“One is for the amendment of the constitutional provisions but in the report and ourselves have come to the conclusion that that is not feasible due to the time frames and secondly if we are to meet the supermajority of 75% that this could happen in the short space of time that is before us.”

LGE date proclamation

Earlier,  Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma said she is bound by the Constitution and other legal statutes to timeously proclaim the date of the local government elections.

Dlamini-Zuma was briefing the media on developments with regards to the poll which is scheduled for 27 October 2021.

She says her proclaiming the date of the election, which will be gazetted on Wednesday, does not contradict the recommendations of the Moseneke Inquiry nor their acceptance by the IEC.

“The minister is bound to fulfill her statutory and constitutional obligation to timeously proclaim the election date for the elections. There is currently no court order that would excuse the minister from fulfilling her constitutional and statutory obligation. If the minister is forced to proclaim the election date before judgment of a Constitutional Court she may explain that she has been advised to do so to fulfill her constitutional and statutory obligations.”

Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma’s briefing on elections :

Resignation of Mangaung Metro City Manager Tankiso Mea does not absolve him from alleged corruption: Parties
1 August 2021, 6:54 AM

Opposition parties in the Mangaung Metro say the resignation of City Manager Tankiso Mea does not absolve him from the alleged corruption and maladministration.

This after the Mangaung Metro Municipality confirmed the resignation of the City Manager.

Mea’s resigned after calls from opposition parties for him to be held accountable for alleged maladministration and corruption at the municipality.

The Metro was placed under administration in December 2019 and has been downgraded twice by rating agencies.

Democratic Alliance (DA) councillor David Masoeu says Mea resigned to escape responsibility.

“The council has decided that they’re going to release him. Even though the disciplinary proceedings have not been finalized. So on one hand we are happy that the allegations of misconduct were actually found to be true by the private investigator. On the other hand, we know what the ANC does normally. They will just deploy him somewhere else. We wanted him to account for his actions his failures in the municipality.”

Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) councillor Paulnita Marais says Mea resigned just before his disciplinary hearing.

“The city manager just resigned two days before his disciplinary hearings and we as the EFF say he must be held accountable for what happened in Mangaung. Mangaung is in a mess because of him. There is no service delivery everywhere there is water crisis sewerage everywhere. People are suffering because of Mea.”

The Mangaung Community Concern group says Mea’s sudden resignation is an indication of guilt.

Spokesperson Motlatsi Mokgatla says, “This is an indication of admission of guilty from his side and the council. However we want to emphasize that  gone are the days where people will just mess up with issues of governance and finances of taxpayers money and they just go home – without facing any consequences.”

Allegations against Mea include financial mismanagement, unauthorised and wasteful expenditure, as outlined in the video below:

A spokesperson for the Mangaung Metro Municipality, Qondile Khedama, says an acting municipal manager has been appointed following Mea’s resignation.

“The city manager has resigned. The council has appointed Mr. Sello More to act as the City Manager so that the operations are not interrupted whilst other processes are unfolding. Yes, the investigations were instituted against him earlier and we obviously got legal advice as to the council that he has resigned, any other thing outside his resignation will be dealt with by relevant institutions.”

The instability at the municipality continues even after former Mayor Olly Mlamleli was axed via a motion of no confidence last year.

Weather

 

SABC © 2021