The African National Congress (ANC) in Gauteng says it’s not aware that the e-toll contract has been extended, saying this is an issue dealt with by national government. This is in response to Democratic Alliance’s (DA) accusation that the ANC is misleading the public.
At a media briefing in Johannesburg on Wednesday, DA Gauteng Premier Candidate and Tshwane Mayor Solly Msimanga accused the ANC of lying to the public by making people to believe that the e-toll contract was coming to an end in December 2018 alleging that they had already renewed the contract in April 2017.
Gauteng ANC Spokesperson Tasneem Motara says, “The DA is extremely opportunistic by saying that. Should they win, the province of Gauteng in 2019 general elections, they will then remove the e-tolls, because provincial government does not have that competency. We are not aware as the ANC of an extension of a contract.”
Msimanga says this is proof that the ruling party is full of lies, empty promises and cannot be trusted to govern Gauteng.
“ETC came out and said you are talking about a contract that is coming to an end, but we are already sitting with a letter of extension. What we are saying is if there was already a letter of extension that was already granted, why were the people of Gauteng kept in the dark? Why did the Premier, the ANC and SACP march against themselves if they already knew that this contract was already renewed?” says Msimanga.
Watch related video below: