Investigating officer in the Senzo Meyiwa murder case, Sergeant Batho Mogola, has told the High Court in Pretoria that accused number one, Muzi Sibiya, refused to go to hospital after alleging that he was assaulted.
Mogola has wrapped up her cross-examination in a trial within a trial to establish the admissibility of an alleged confession statement.
Five men are on trial for Meyiwa’s murder. He was shot dead in October 2014.
Mogola confirmed that Sibiya complained to the magistrate who took down his statement in Tembisa on July 10, 2020, that he had been assaulted.
She, however, testified that he refused a medical examination.
Magola says, “The accused did not give me details. I then spoke to my commander, Brig Gininda, who said I needed to take a statement from him to open a case and then take him to the doctor for medical examination.”
“I approached the accused and he refused. I then went to Silverton Police Station and they appeared to not have any knowledge. We even perused the incident book and there was no record,” she adds.
On Tuesday, Mogola revealed that Sibiya had long anticipated the day when he would be held accountable for Meyiwa’s murder.
Senzo Meyiwa Trial – 23 November 2023: