The ANC’s Integrity Commission says it has received a letter from Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize indicating that he will appear before the commission about the irregular R150 million Digital Vibes tender. The matter is being probed by the Special Investigating Unit.

Mkhize told reporters last week that the contract was irregular and that disciplinary action will be taken against those responsible.

Alleged irregular contract between the health department and Digital Vibes: 

Mkhize’s former aides control the company which got the contract to do work related to the National Health Insurance scheme and government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

He has denied any involvement in the tender.

On Friday, Mkhize failed to appear before Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Health, after receiving legal advice.

Dr Dale McKinley on Dr Zweli Mkhize’s failure to appear before the Parliament committee:

ANC Integrity Commission chairperson, George Mashamba, says the commission will arrange a date with Mkhize.

‘We received the letter at the meeting and we said we will call him. We will write a letter to him to tell him when to come and will arrange the date. We did not decide on the meeting. Contents will come out when we discuss with him. I understand this is a serious matter, but I won’t pre-empt the deliberations with the IC.”

ANC’s Integrity Commission set to meet with embattled Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize:

Outcome of investigation

On Friday, Deputy President David Mabuza weighed in on the Digital Vibes irregular tender allegedly linked to Mkhize.

Addressing Military Veterans in Limpopo, Mabuza said people should wait for the outcome of the investigation.

“Of course, if there are allegations they will always disrupt the thinking of government, but I think we should take from what the President has said that this is being attended to. We will wait for the final version of the investigations by the SIU and then the President will then take the matter forward.”

President Ramaphosa dealing with allegations against Dr Zweli Mkhize:

Allegations ‘blow’ to SA’s fight against COVID-19

On Friday, the Gauteng Health Department said corruption allegations against the Health Minister are a huge blow to the country’s fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

Chief Director at the Gauteng Health Department, Meisie Lerutle, said Mkhize is failing to answer basic questions about what is happening in his department.

“To have a health minister who is leading our pandemic response, somebody whose word is not believed, who cannot engage with the media; having to duck and dive accountability. We’ve got too many big issues at play right now. We have a Health Minister that can’t answer basic questions about what’s happening in his department.”