The King of Eswatini, King Mswati III, is expected to hold talks on Friday following last month’s deadly pro-democracy protests.

All citizens of the kingdom have been invited to the forum known as iSibaya at the Ludzidzini Royal Palace.

This is the first time the king will address the unrest in which at least 50 people died.

Eswatini Unrest, PUDEMO leader Mlungisi Makhanya updates on the situation:


Activists and opposition groups have, however, vowed not to attend the meeting.

“The SADC was delayed due to the very same excuses,” says Swaziland Solidarity Network Spokesperson, Lucky Lukhele.

“Now because it suits his ego that he feels like he can address the nation he then calls people. This is like offloading some steam. We feel strongly that the first thing he needs to do is call off his militia who are terrorising the nation. You can’t talk to people but on the other hand, the other people’s hands are tied behind their backs,” says Lukhele.

Eswatini citizens have also raised concerns over the shortage of fuel in the country. Some businesses have remained closed despite the government’s call for them to open.

Eswatini former Senator Walter Bennet says the ongoing unrest in South Africa has worsened the situation.

Bennet says what is happening in South Africa is directly affecting Eswatini in terms of economic development.