The funeral service of the 20-month old toddler who was allegedly raped by her father two weeks ago is underway in Mthatha in the Eastern Cape.
The incident took place at Ntsimbini village in Port St John’s.
The brutal crime took place in Port St Johns but Azizzah is being buried at her mother’s home in Ngangelizwe in Mthatha.
A family spokesperson, Bongani Rhwarhwa, says the child’s mother and the suspect were not married.
The 27-year-old suspect is in custody and he appeared in Port St John’s Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
His case has been postponed to February 23 for formal bail application.
The Office of the Premier as well as non-governmental organisations have assisted the family with funeral preparations.
[WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT] Port ST.Johns community reeling after rape and murder of a toddler:
Stay in jail
Last week, the Mamlambo family said they want their son to stay in jail.
The family spokesperson, David Mamlambo says the 27-year-old is a danger to the family and the community.
“I don’t think he can stay with people because it’s clear he can repeat this. We say justice must be served and he must stay in jail because he is dangerous,” says Mamlambo.