Former radio DJ Ngizwe Mchunu has been released on R 2000 bail by the Randburg Magistrates’ Court.
On Monday last week, Mchunu handed himself over to police after a warrant for his arrest had been issued for allegedly instigating violence during last week’s unrest and looting that rocked KwaZulu-Natal and parts of Gauteng.
He is facing charges of inciting public violence and contravention of the disaster management act. Mchunu is one of four alleged instigators who are currently facing prosecution.
In the video below, is the bail application of former radio DJ, Ngizwe Mchunu:
After spending more than a week behind bars, Mchunu has taken the stand on Thursday during his bail application at the Randburg Magistrates’ Court.
He told the court that he has no previous convictions and that he will not evade trial if released on bail.
Mchunu went on to state that he has three wives and 12 children, all of whom depend on him financially and that his incarceration will have a negative impact on their lives.
He also told the court that he will not interfere with any witnesses in the case and that he will show up for all his appearances.
On Wednesday, the state opposed his bail application, arguing that he is a flight risk and that it will not be in the interest of justice for him to be released.