The Ekurhuleni Metro Municipality is continuing with efforts to help hundreds of people left homeless by Monday night’s devastating shack fire in Kempton Park, east of Johannesburg.
Over 250 shacks at the Pomona informal settlement were destroyed by the blaze caused by an unattended gas stove. No one was injured.
On Wednesday, one person was killed following another fire which burnt over 80 shacks in Alexandra township, north of Johannesburg.
Ekurhuleni Emergency spokesperson William Ntladi says work continues to help the affected families.
“We are busy with the cleaning up of the area, however, we have identified halls around Ekurhuleni where we are sheltering people. However, some other people still don’t want to leave the area. However, we have made some alternative arrangements for them to get some extra tents which are within the area,” says Ntladi.
Watch a related video below: