Eastern Cape learners who fell ill after eating lunch discharged from hospital

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Learners who fell ill at Ikamva Lesizwe School in Kenton-On-Sea in the Eastern Cape on Monday have been discharged from hospital.

They got sick after eating lunch served as part of the school feeding scheme.

More than 120 learners were admitted to hospital with symptoms of food poisoning.

The provincial Department of Education says it has found that the most likely cause of the food poisoning, was the sour milk that was served with mealie pap.

Department spokesperson Malibongwe Mtima says the sour milk was bought last Friday and likely went off as a result of the warm weather over the weekend even though it was stored in a fridge.

Mtima says, “Issues that have come forth from the investigation we have done is that we need to strengthen or improve the storage of our food in our schools. The good news is the milk was not expired, the milk that was served was not expired.”

“There are officials from health, inspectors and dieticians who were deployed to ensure they work with the hospital and the school to advise and educate everyone about everything pertaining to school nutrition,” he adds.


In 2019, some of the learners of the Edward Phatudi Comprehensive School in Atteridgeville, west of Pretoria, were admitted to hospital with suspected food poisoning.

The 34 learners, mainly girls in Grade 12, started to feel unwell after eating chicken feet they bought from the school’s tuck shop.

VIDEO: Learners rushed to hospital on alleged food poisoning in May 2019: