Co-operative Governance Minister Nosazana Dlamini-Zuma has extended the national state of disaster for another month. The decision has been published in the government gazette.
The state of disaster is supposed to last for three months, but can be extended on a monthly basis. It will now last until the 15th of September.
President Cyril Ramaphosa had first announced the state of disaster in late March as the country moved to combat the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Earlier, reports said the COGTA would be proposing to cabinet an extension of the National State of Disaster, which would mean the nationwide lockdown could remain in place. However, some regulations may be amended and the country may be taken to a lower alert level.
CoGTA Spokesperson Lungi Mtshali said the extension of the state of disaster and the movement of levels are not mutually exclusive.
“When we, move within the levels whether level three or moving to level four or moving to level two we must be still within the national state of disaster so the extension and the movement of the levels are not mutually exclusive,” explained Mtshali.
Lungi Mtshali talks about the extension of the National State of Disaster:
There has been some concern among opposition parties and others about the powers accorded to Dlamini-Zuma in terms of the State of Disaster.
President Ramaphosa to address the nation
Ramaphosa is expected to address the nation at 20h00 on Saturday regarding developments in South Africa’s risk-adjusted strategy to manage the spread of COVID-19. The address follows a meeting earlier this week of the National Coronavirus Command Council and meetings on Saturday of the President’s Coordinating Council and Cabinet.