Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula has sent condolences to the families of the victims of a horrific crash on the N1 in Johannesburg, which claimed the lives of ten people.
The driver of a minibus taxi lost control and crashed into the concrete barrier on the N1 South near Midrand.
The freeway has been re-opened in both directions.
Mbalula visited the scene after engaging in a road campaign about the AARTO demerit system.
Mbalula says he’s optimistic the system will help reduce road carnage.
President Cyril Ramaphosa signed the AARTO Bill into law last week.
Mbalula’s spokesperson, Ayanda Allie-Paine says:”Minister Mbalula wishes to convey his heartfelt and deep condolences to those who lost their loved ones. Minister Mbalula himself was also on the scene.”
! Traffic Advisory !
Fatal Accident involving a minibus taxi on the N1 south at the Buccleuch I/C. 9 people certified dead. Traffic is is heavy in both directions heading towards the scene. Please excercise extreme caution when approaching. #JHBTraffic pic.twitter.com/R6CgGPjgOJ
— David Tembe (@AsktheChiefJMPD) August 18, 2019