The South African Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) says lessons will continue at the Menzi primary school in Tsakane Ekurhuleni despite the recent break-in at the newly opened R105 million school.

On Monday night a group of criminals tied-up two patrollers and locked them in one of the rooms before stealing all 185 tablets for learners, as well as laptops and data projectors for teachers.

The state of the art paperless school was unveiled amid much fanfare by Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi and Premier David Makhura on Wednesday last week.

Sadtu steward at the school Siyabonga Mthetwa says the burglary is a huge set-back.

“We are so devastated by this. There were a few things that were targeted at our school, the laptops and the tablets. The only thing that is painful is that these kids are coming from the poorest and they had the opportunity to learn and explore tablets and laptops. They had the opportunity to explore and get the world class education since this was a paperless school. Since these things were stolen we will go back to square one. We will use papers and stuff. We will improvise as teachers. We don’t know what to do but we will continue with teaching and learning,” says Mthetwa.

WATCH RELATED VIDEO BELOW: