The United Nations Office of Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs says thousands of people in Mozambique’s northern province of Cabo Delgado are desperately searching for safety. The situation in the area remains volatile after armed groups attacked Palma district last month.
South Africa’s Defence Department says the more than 50 South Africans who were reported missing have now been accounted for. One South African was among those killed.
On Friday, President Cyril Ramaphosa confirmed that members of the SANDF had been dispatched to Mozambique’s northern towns of Pemba and Palma to secure the safety of South Africans. The SADC Troika will hold an urgent meeting this coming week to discuss the current situation in Mozambique.
Troops sent to rescue South Africans:
Martin Ewi, southern Africa regional coordinator for the Institute for Security Studies, says what is happening in Mozambique has far-reaching implications on South Africa.
“There will be a lot of implications for South Africa. But what is the best scenario for South Africa is to respond with SADC and not to stand out as if it is the only country fighting this insurgency. South Africa has already lost citizens in it. We also know that there are South African citizens that are part of the insurgency. The only way to deal with this would be South Africa facing this head-on,” says Ewi.
In the video below, over 50 South Africans rescued: