National Assembly Speaker Thandi Modise has again rejected a proposal for an urgent special debate on the recent violence and looting in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.
Some opposition parties have requested the speaker to reconvene the House on an urgent basis to have a debate on what they call is a matter of public interest.
In reply, Modise said there was no need for such deliberation because the relevant committees of the National Assembly were dealing with the issue.
On Thursday, opposition benches expressed disappointment at Modise’s decision.
Beds, fridges, fire extinguishers among looted items confiscated by police in Sebokeng:
Parliamentary spokesperson Moloto Mothapo says relevant committees of the House that conducted an oversight in the affected provinces will submit their reports to Parliament before calling members of the executive to account.
“Those kinds of reports will come and they will channel through a process of parliament. That process includes the members of the executive appearing before the house for an extended period of oral questions and oral answers and debates.”
“That will take about two weeks to ensure that we get to the bottom of what happened last week as parliament. And that appropriate measures are put in place to avert any future recurrence of what happened last week,” says Mothapo.
Police Minister Bheki Cele visits communities in KwaZulu-Natal: