A group of five African National Congress (ANC) members, who earlier took the party’s KwaZulu-Natal leadership to court, have welcomed the decision of the National Executive Committee (NEC) to suspend the provincial leadership.
On Friday night, the ANC’s NEC announced a decision to disband the provincial leadership in an attempt to forge unity between the two factions in the province.
The NEC will set up a Provincial Task Team which will prepare for a conference to be held in March.
Last year, the five party members challenged the outcome of the 2015 provincial conference and won the legal battle when the Pietermaritzburg High court nullified the conference.
Spokesperson for the applicants Nkosinathi Mshengu says the decision will renew the party in the province.
“We are grateful to the NEC for the decision that they have taken, and it is a decision to actually renew and unite the ANC in KZN, and the country, because the national general election coming next year requires a united and stronger ANC in order for us to reclaim the lost ground in a number of provinces. There are districts in our province where we did not do well in the local government elections in 2016 – and therefore a united ANC is going to be very important in us to take the ANC forward,” says Mshengu.
Click here to watch a video: