Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta said on Wednesday that the security operation at a Nairobi hotel complex attacked by militants was over and all the “terrorists”involved had been killed.
Kenyatta said that 14 civialians were confirmed dead and over 700 others had been evacuated to safety by security forces.
Kenyan police chief Joseph Boinnet said the attack began around 3 pm on Tuesday with an explosion targeting cars outside a bank followed by a detonation from a suicide bomber in the hotel lobby. As he spoke, a Reuters reporter on the scene reported heavy gunfire, then an explosion shortly afterwards.
Surveillance video showed three attackers dressed in black running across the parking lot at 3:30 pm shortly followed by a fourth. At least two of the men were wearing green scarves in the close-up footage. One appeared to be wearing a green belt with grenades on it.
Two Kenyans in their early 30s working with governance consultants Adam Smith International were among the dead, a family member said. Both had young families, she said.
A Spanish national was among the injured, a Spanish diplomat told Reuters.
The US Embassy had offered assistance, a State Department official said, adding all American diplomats were safe.
Many told Reuters they had to leave colleagues behind, still huddled under their desks.