Home » Articles Posted by Busi Magudulela

Author Archives: Busi Magudulela

Cyril Ramaphosa
Homeless confident in City of Johannesburg’s preparedness during lockdown
27 March 2020, 8:00 AM

People housed at the Shelter of the Homeless in Braamfontein, Johannesburg say they are confident with the measures that have been put in place in preparation for the 21-day lockdown that commenced at midnight.

While some at the facility say they are not worried about having increased numbers at the facility, some have stressed the importance of having new people at the shelter tested for COVID-19.

A resident at the shelter says he feels very safe. “The facility has sanitised the whole property. Pest control guys were here first and today, the whole facility has also been sanitinised.”

He has, however, requested that management controls the influx of people during lockdown.

“What we are asking from management is to test people coming to the shelter because we don’t know who’s been affected on the outside.”

“I do feel safe being inside, I think it’s more dangerous if I had to go out or go back to the streets or even just travel.”

Loading...

Loading…

On Thursday, the Health Ministry said the number of positive novel coronavirus cases now stands at 927.

This is an increase of 218 from Wednesday. Gauteng still has the highest number with 409 confirmed cases. The Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal-Natal are following with 229 and 134 cases, respectively.

Gauteng has almost half of the nation’s positive cases of COVID-19. This may be attributed to the province being the biggest gateway into the country.

The Free State has 49 cases, but the number is expected to increase rapidly after two churches that had mass gatherings this month confirmed that some of their congregants had tested positive for the viral infection.

The announcement of the new cases comes as South Africa enters a national lockdown.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has again appealed to South Africans to adhere to the lockdown regulations.

In the video below, Ramaphosa gives soldiers their orders ahead of the nationwide lockdown:

In the video below, SABC’s Gillian Pillay reports on police’s state of readiness in Johannesburg:

Healthcare workers fear infecting families with coronavirus
27 March 2020, 7:30 AM

South African healthcare workers say their greatest fear is infecting their families with the coronavirus that has infected more than 900 people in the country so far.

“I have a two-year-old, I fear infecting my child. I think that’s a concern that every healthcare worker is scared about,” KwaZulu-Natal lung specialist Dr Leon Naidoo says.

South Africa currently has 927 confirmed coronavirus cases nationally.

Some healthcare workers are self-isolating in an effort to protect their families from the virus.

This as the national lockdown announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa commenced at midnight on Thursday. Healthcare workers, who will continue to work throughout the lockdown say, while their emotions are high they will do all humanly possible to contain the virus and save lives.

Naidoo, however, says the private sector is experiencing a shortage of resources.

“Our major fear is if the disaster hits all at once. What are we going to do? In the state of emergency, the Health Minister will use us as doctors first. We are going to have to at some point practice out of our field of expertise just to keep patients alive. I think that’s what everyone is scared of as well.”

“We are having to share resources at the moment. A mask that you would use in the ICU, that you would throw away after seeing a patient, you actually have to keep it and use it again.”

In the video below, SABC’s Tsepiso Makwetla speaks to the president of the Health Professions Council of South Africa:

In this video below, the President announces a rise in confirmed cases of COVID-19:

Loading...

Loading…

 

Student in China details life under lockdown
26 March 2020, 12:15 PM

South Africans are on Thursday preparing for the 21-day nationwide lockdown. President Ramaphosa declared the lockdown to curb the spread of the Coronavirus.

Nokwethu Mavuso, a student in China has been under lockdown for three months.

She says the outbreak of this highly contagious disease brought fear and panic. China quickly declared a state of national emergency. This led to the declaration of the lockdown.

“The government immediately put strategic measures in place to curb the spread of the disease, ” says Mavuso.

She says the Chinese community adhered to the rules set out by the government and she is urging other nations to do the same.

“People were advised not to leave their rooms or go to crowded places since close contact with people was and is the easiest way to contract the disease.”

“The best we can do is to make sure we observe whatever measures they put in place to help curb the spread of the disease.”

In the video below, Nokwethu Mavuso, a student in China takes us through how life has been under lockdown:

 

The Coronavirus(COVID-19) has affected the entire world.

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person to person and contact with contaminated surfaces.

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

The number of people infected with COVID-19 as well as the number of deaths continues to rise each day.

Confirmed coronavirus cases around the world:

President Ramaphosa has called on all South Africans to pray on Thursday evening between 6 PM  and 6:30 PM in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

This will be six hours before the 21-day nationwide lockdown declared to help curb the spread of the virus.

Currently the country has recorded 709 COVID-19 infections and there are fears this could increase.

Ramaphosa says this is the moment when South Africans need to act together as one patriotic nation in solidarity with all those affected or impacted by COVID-19, not just in South Africa but around the world.

SA Lockdown measures

Loading...

Loading…

Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s case indefinitely postponed
26 March 2020, 10:30 AM

Public Protector, Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s fight to stop the Parliamentary process to remove her from office in the Western Cape High Court has been indefinitely postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Mkhwebane wants the process suspended saying it’s unfair and unconstitutional.

Mkhwebane and National Assembly Speaker Modise have agreed to postpone the case, which has seen them seek personal cost orders against each other.

Reports however say Mkhwebane’s attorney Theo Seanego wrote to Judge President John Hlophe to ask that the case be indefinitely postponed due to the outbreak and the consequent suspension of the business of the National Assembly until further notice.

Modise, is to oppose Public Protector Mkhwebane’s application to halt the process to declare her unfit to hold office.

Thandi Modise responds to Busisiwe Mkhwebane:

Mkhwebane has accused Modise of siding with President Cyril Ramaphosa in a legal dispute with him regarding a BOSASA donation to his African National Congress (ANC) presidential election campaign in 2017.

In her report, Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane found that Ramaphosa deliberately misled Parliament when he failed to divulge the details of the donations his African National Congress (ANC) presidential campaign received; in particular, a payment from Bosasa.

The late CEO of Bosasa, Gavin Watson, donated R500 000 to Ramaphosa’s 2017 campaign.

President Cyril Ramaphosa took the case for a judicial review. A full bench of judges said Mkhwebane acted recklessly and irrationally and that she had no jurisdiction to investigate the CR17 campaign.

The court found that Ramaphosa was not obliged to disclose campaign funding and did not mislead parliament on the CR17 campaign.

DA’s motion of no confidence against Mkhwebane

The Democratic Alliance (DA) first instituted a motion to remove Mkhwebane from office after a number of adverse court judgments against her.

Parliamentary Spokesperson, Moloto Mothapo, says Modise’s aim is to defend the National Assembly.

“She will oppose the application in defence of the constitutional powers of Parliament to hold the chapter nine institutions accountable because the constitution states that the public protector and other chapter nine institutions are accountable to the National Assembly,” says Mothapo.

Mothapo says Parliament is opposing the application to interdict.

 

 

EFF’s Shivambu to appear in court for assault
26 March 2020, 7:15 AM

Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) deputy president, Floyd Shivambu is expected to appear in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Thursday for common assault.

Shivambu is accused of attacking a journalist in the Parliamentary precinct in March last year.

Shivambu was caught on video with his hands allegedly around Netwerk24 journalist Adrian de Kock’s throat.

The case was postponed to March 26.

Shivambu apologised and De Kock accepted his apology but said he had already laid charges with the police.

In the video below, SABC Reporter Abra Barbier was in court during Shivambu’s last appearance:

Shivambu is one of several EFF leaders facing assault charges following attacks on various individuals.

These include party leader Julius Malema, Secretary General Marshall Dlamini and spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi.

Shivambu is also awaiting censure of Parliament’s ethics committee related to the alleged attack on De Kock.

 

Weather

 

SABC © 2020