Former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks boss Johan Booysen says he is optimistic that the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) will drop the remaining charges against him.
Earlier on Tuesday, the NPA announced its decision to withdraw racketeering charges against Booysen.
The NPA says other charges against Booysen are still under investigation.
In 2016, former acting National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Advocate Nomgcobo Jiba and former NDPP Shaun Abrahams authorised the prosecution of Booysen.
Current NDPP Shamila Batohi had appointed a panel to investigate the validity of the charges.
Booysen and other accused are still facing charges of theft and defeating the ends of justice.
The NPA says the panel could not find sufficient evidence to warrant proceeding with racketeering charges against the former Hawks boss.
Booysen explains, “Although the racketeering charges have now been withdrawn, my take on the matter is that the other charges will also be withdrawn because the racketeering charge emanates from those particular cases. I still do not hold any grudge. The evidence is there for all to see.”
Watch video below for more on the story: