The Gauteng government says it is investigating the death of a homeless man outside the Tshwane District Hospital on Tuesday night.
It is alleged that the man was refused treatment and collapsed outside the hospital gate and died later.
The DA in the province says a scuffle also ensued when a security guard tried to take a wheelchair that was supposed to have been used to help the man from the hospital.
There are also allegations that the police took more than three hours to assist in getting the state morgue to come fetch the man’s body after he died.
Gauteng District Health Chief Director, Mothomone Pitsi says the CEO of the hospital claims the man did not go to the facility for treatment.
“The CEO of the hospital has confirmed that that man was never in the hospital. He has made a report about the whole incident and it appears that the man stayed a few blocks from the hospital. In terms of the report that he has made, he was passing by the hospital apparently, and he died outside the hospital. He was never inside the hospital. Up to so far, that’s the only version we have. But if there is any information to the contrary, I think it will assist us to investigate further.”
LISTEN TO AUDIO BELOW FOR MORE: