#COVID19 | In keeping with our commitment to transparency and accountability, the @GautengTreasury will, on a monthly basis, publish a list of companies that were appointed to provide goods and services in support of our response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
— David Makhura (@David_Makhura) August 13, 2020
Gauteng government to publish list of companies contracted for COVID-19 tenders
Gauteng Premier David Makhura says they will publish a list of companies that have been contracted to provide goods and services for COVID-19 in the province.
Makhura says they want to be transparent and they will make the list available every month.
This follows allegations of corruption in the awarding of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) tenders worth over R1 billion in the province.
Earlier this month, Makhura denied that his family benefitted from COVID-19 personal protective equipment (PPE) procurement following allegations that claimed he has.
“The Premier David Makhura decided that we should publish the list as part of our commitment to clean governance, as well as transparency and accountability. So we are publishing a list of companies. The first list will be of companies that have been contracted to provide goods and services since April 2020 mainly for goods and services in relation to our response to the COVID-19 pandemic,” says Thabo Masebe, Makhura’s Spokesperson.
Last month, Gauteng Health MEC Bandile Masuku took a leave of absence from his duties, along with his wife Loyiso, who is an MMC in the City of Johannesburg. Presidency Spokesperson Khusela Diko also took a leave of absence follo
This after over a controversial R125 million PPE tender was awarded to Diko’s husband, AmaBhaca King Thandisizwe Diko through a friendship with the Masukus.
Bandile Masuku has since told Special Investigating Unit (SIU) investigators that the Dikos worked behind his back.
The SIU is currently investigating the allegations involving the awarding of tenders.
COVID-19 Pandemic | Gauteng facing biggest tender scandal: Makhura