For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health's website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Home » Articles Posted by Thabiso Malesele

Author Archives: Thabiso Malesele

Limpopo man accused of stabbing two homeless people in Pta 3 years ago pleads not guilty
26 January 2022, 8:40 PM

A Limpopo man accused of stabbing and injuring two homeless people in a city park in Pretoria three years ago, has pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder. 39-year-old Manus Mothupi has been in custody since his arrest in July 2019, after his bail application was unsuccessful.

Police are also investigating whether Mothupi could be linked to the stabbing and murders of five other homeless men at a park in Sunnyside. The trial has been postponed until the 7th of next month for further investigation.

“We can confirm that the accused was charged with two counts of attempted murder. He was not linked to the murder cases of five people. Three of the deceased were identified and buried by their families while the two who were not identified were buried by the state. We are still investigating cases of murder. No arrest has been made. We are still appealing to anyone with information that can assist in this investigation to report to the nearest police station or call the crime stop number which is 08600 10111,” says police spokesperson Mavela Masondo.

VIDEO: UPDATE: No evidence linking Mothupi to murder of a homeless man

 

Stakes high in next week’s by-elections in Nongoma Municipality
26 January 2022, 7:00 PM

The stakes are high in the Nongoma Municipality in northern KwaZulu-Natal where two by-elections will be held next week. The outcome will determine if the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) will retain control of the municipality or lose the council to the National Freedom Party (NFP)- African National Congress (ANC) partnership.

Of the four vacancies in the province, two are from seats left vacant after the murder of councillor candidates before last year’s polls.

“It’s all systems go, all the necessary infrastructure that we need to deliver the election and the security establishment in the province are also ready to secure the by-election itself given the nature particularly in eThekwini and Kwa Nongoma how the previous councillors were killed in that municipalities to make sure that we have a stable environment for the by-election. We have had various consultative meetings with the security establishment in the province to make sure that elections happen in a safe and secured environment,” says the IEC’s acting electoral officer in KwaZulu-Natal, Ntombifuthi Masinga.

VIDEO: NFP says councillor candidate Dumisani Qwabe gunned down in Nongoma:

 

Memorial service for Patrick Shai to be held at the Market Theatre in Jhb on Thursday
26 January 2022, 6:52 PM

A memorial service for veteran actor Patrick Shai will be held at midday tomorrow at the Market Theatre in Johannesburg. Shai died on Saturday morning at his Soweto home, aged 66. His career began in some of the SABC’s best dramas such as Yizo Yizo, Soul City, Bophelo ke Semphekgo and Generations.

He was also a gender-based activist and one of the founding members of Free Film Makers of South Africa. Shai’s son, Lekgetho, says the memorial service will be open to the public and will be conducted in line with COVID-19 protocols.

“We are doing the memorial service at the Market Theatre from 12 o’clock to 3 o’clock and we are expecting a lot of people but due toCOVID, we can only take 221 people inside the theatre but everyone is allowed to come and you can expect the likes of people from the 7de Laan cast and Uzalo cast and a lot of people are coming and a lot of people will be there,” Lekgetho elaborates.

VIDEO: Patrick Shai – Zodwa Zwane remembers the veteran actor

 

20-year old Brits woman who ordered killing of parents and siblings granted bail
26 January 2022, 6:00 PM

The family of a 20-year old woman, who confessed to having hired hitmen to kill her parents and two siblings at Mmakau near Brits in December 2016, says it’s difficult to accommodate her. Onthatile Sebati has been granted bail of R10 000.

Her co-accused Tumelo and Kagiso Mokone who are cousins, were also granted bail of R10 000 each by the Brits Magistrate’s Court. They’re facing five counts of murder, theft and armed robbery.

Accused granted bail:

Sebati’s uncle Kabelo Brown was at the court to observe the proceedings.

“That is going be very difficult for me because everyone in the family will be looking at me. It will be tough for me. On the paternal and on my side. Even my wife I don’t think she’s going to accept her. I really don’t. Maybe after we are healed when time goes on,”  Brown explains.

Tsitsipas, Medvedev and Collins advance in Melbourne
26 January 2022, 5:00 PM

Second seed and reigning US Open champion, Daniil Medvedev of Russia, has advanced to the semi-final of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne. Medvedev rallied from two sets down to beat Canada’s world number nine, Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-7, 4-6, 7-6, 7-5, 6-4.

The Russian will play Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas, after the fourth-seed beat Italy’s Jannik Sinner 6-3 6-4 6-2. In the women’s draw, Danielle Collins of America beat France’s Alize Cornet 7-5, 6-1, while Iga Swiatek won her quarter-final clash against Estonia’s Kaia Kanepi in three sets.

Medvedev and Auger-Aliassime were meeting for the fourth time with the Russian having won all of their three previous matches. The Canadian won the first-set tiebreaker to go one set up. The 21-year-old had an early break in the second set. He went on to win it 6-3 when Medvedev’s return sailed long. The third set also went to a tie-breaker. Medvedev won the tie-breaker when Auger-Aliassime netted a forehand to prolong the contest.

The Russian broke Auger-Aliassime in the eleventh game of the fourth set before winning it 7-5 to level the match. The pendulum swung in Medvedev’s favour when he broke the Canadian in the third game of the fifth set. He sealed the win in 4 hours 42 minutes.

“I wasn’t playing my best and Felix was playing well he was over me, to be honest, I didn’t know what to do but I told myself what Novak would do,” says Medvedev.

Medvedev will play fourth-seed, Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece, who defeated Italian, Jannik Sinner, 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 to advance. Stretched to five sets by Taylor Fritz on Monday, Tsitsipas showed no signs of fatigue. The 23-year-old sealed the win when Sinner’s backhand return went wide on match point.

In the women’s draw, Danielle Collins ended Alize Cornet’s dream run at the Australian Open with a 7-5, 6-1 win to reach her second semi-final at Melbourne Park. After breaking the French woman’s serve to take the first set, the American 27th seed won the next five games at Rod Laver Arena.

Cornet, playing her first Grand Slam quarter-final in her 63rd main draw appearance at a major, finally held serve to make Collins serve out the match. Collins showed no nerves as she hammered a forehand down the line to earn two match points. She then sealed it when Cornet netted a forehand.

“To be able to get back to this level and be able to compete like the way I have been and being able to be as physical as I have been and it’s so rewarding playing against the girls that I’ve been playing against the last couple of matches, playing against really good competitors, really great athletes,” says Danielle Collins.

Collins will next play French Open winner Iga Swiatek of Poland. Swiatek rallied from a set and a break down in brutal heat to beat Estonian Kaia Kanepi 4-6, 7-6, 6-3 to reach her first Australian Open semi-final.

She sealed the three-hour contest on her second match point after an incredible rally which ended when the Estonian sent a backhand wide for her 62nd unforced error.

Weather

 

SABC © 2022