Menu
Home » Articles Posted by Sinentlahla Vulindlu

Author Archives: Sinentlahla Vulindlu

Protesters next to a truck
Cape Town roads re-opened
25 September 2018, 12:14 PM

The City of Cape Town says all roads that were previously closed as a result of the shutdown protests have been re-opened.

The city’s Richard Bosman says roads in Hanover Park, Bonteheuwel, Kensington and Ottery have been re-pened.

Communities are protesting among others against the high crime rate and gang killings.

They have been protesting since early hours of Tuesday morning in several townships across the city leading traffic chaos on the N1 and N2.

SABC reporter, Berenice Moss says she’s been caught up in the traffic chaos for over two hours.

“It’s been a chaotic time trying to get to work. A number of roads are closed. So normally this trip would take me about an hour and I got stuck in traffic for two hours”.

WATCH RELATED VIDEO BELOW:

SABC building
Unpaid TV licences partly blamed for SABC’s financial woes
25 September 2018, 11:00 AM

Deputy Minister of Communications, Pinky Kekana, says unpaid TV licences are partly to blame for the SABC’s financial woes. The SABC Board is appearing before the Portfolio Committee on Communications to present their turnaround strategy.

The public broadcaster plans to cut the corporation’s R3.1 billion salary bill.

Section 189 of the Labour Relations Act could see the retrenchment of hundreds of workers to cut costs. Kekana says are looking into creating new path for the SABC to ensure its future is protected.

“It is in our hands and in our interests to make sure that we all sustain the SABC. We know the main revenue stream around the SABC has been paying of TV licences. Whatever movie or soapie you watch, it means we must pay 76 cents a day as viewers. That has not been happening and brings unintended consequences because if we don’t pay that it means even the staff of the SABC cannot be sustained.

The SABC, led by board chairperson Bongumusa Makhathini is in Parliament to present its turnaround strategy.

The SABC is in dire financial strain and retrenchments are in the pipe line.

Indications are that the public broadcaster’s turnaround plan has not been approved by Communications Minister Nomvula Mokonyane.

The Board has been asked to indicate if the plan has been approved by the Mokonyane when they’re presenting.

Committee chairperson Humprey Maxhegwana says they had thought that this matter would at least by now been ironed out by now.

“We thought that by now everything will be sorted out but it looks like the minister is not sorted out we have been waiting for this turnaround strategy for a month now and it’s not finalised between the board and the shareholder”.

 

Watch below for more:

EFF national chairperson Adv. Dali Mpofu
E Cape EFF ready for its elective congress
25 September 2018, 10:37 AM

The EFF in the Eastern Cape says it’s all systems go for its provincial elective congress scheduled for the weekend in East London.

The party says all regions have already elected their regional leadership as part of the preparations for this conference.

More than 1 000 delegates are expected to participate.

The national office disbanded the provincial leadership after the party did not do well in the 2016 local government polls.

EFF national chairperson Adv. Dali Mpofu says after they have convened the conference they will shift focus to the upcoming 2019 elections.

“The future of democracy lies in the political parties themselves subjecting themselves to their membership so that you that if you are a leader you know that you are enjoying the support of the people on the ground so we are very confident going to 2019 that we are going to surprise many people and our performance is going to shake the country like we did in 2014”.

However, some EFF members in the province say everything is ready.

“The Eastern Cape is ready; the morale is very high everything will be fine after the conference. We are very excited about this coming event and we have been ready for it from day one I felt like it’s been too long”.

Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba
Gigaba announces SA visa amendments
25 September 2018, 10:21 AM

Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba says minors travelling in and out of South Africa will require both parents’ signatures and consent before they can be allowed.

He was briefing the media in Pretoria on the amendments to the visa regulations, as part of President Cyril Ramaphosa’s stimulus package.

Gigaba says it’s important for his department to detect and prevent against risks, while not inconveniencing law abiding travellers.

He says parents are advised to carry necessary documents that could be requested in high risk situations.

Watch below for more:

 

Cape Town shutdown protesters arrested
25 September 2018, 9:17 AM

Police have made several arrests in Bonteheuwel in Cape Town as the total shutdown continues.

Police have also used water cannon, stun grenades, rubber bullets and teargas to disperse protesting crowds in townships.

The city says the protests are illegal as no permission was sought by the organisers.

One of those arrested is one of the leaders of the campaign, Henriette Abrahams.

This comes after residents blockaded Jakes Gerwel and Bluegum Roads in Bonteheuwel.

The protesters have taken to the streets across Cape Town to voice their anger against gangsterism and crime.

A resident of Bontheuwel expresses his disappointment regarding the arrests.

 

Watch below for more:

 

Highlights

 

SABC © 2018