The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) says it’s going to appeal the Labour Court judgment that the dismissal of TV news anchor, Palesa Chubisi, had been unlawful and invalid.
The court ordered the public broadcaster to reinstate Chubisi with immediate effect and to pay her legal costs. She is one of the employees who were issued with dismissal letters last month.
The SABC says the dismissals had been based on the Public Protector’s report as well as its own internal investigation that had found that about 30 employees, including Chubisi, had been appointed or promoted without due process by then SABC COO, Hlaudi Motsoeneng.
Trade union, Bemawu, has given the SABC until the close of business on Thursday to reinstate all affected employees on the basis of Chubisi’s court victory or face legal action.
However, SABC COO, Ian Plaatjies, says they’re challenging that judgment. “Obviously, we respect the court ruling. However, we are appealing against that. So, we’ll be going through that process and the outcome of that we’ll respect as well. Obviously, the fact that we’re appealing the outcome of Palesa’s case can tell you we’re not going to be withdrawing from the others as well.”
In the video below, Chubisi wins court case against her dismissal: