Former president Jacob Zuma has reacted to last week’s Constitutional Court ruling, saying he will not co-operate with the Commission of Inquiry into State Capture.
The court ruled that he is compelled to appear before the commission and will not be allowed to exercise his right to keep silent.
Justice Christopher Jafta delivers the judgment against Zuma:
In a statement, Zuma also says he does not fear being arrested.
He claims the court has been politicised.
In November 2020, Zuma walked out of the Commission without the Chairperson’s permission, after failing in his bid to have Deputy Justice Raymond Zondo recusing himself as the Commission’s presiding officer.
Zuma walks out of Inquiry before he could take the witness stand:
The former head of State says the Zondo Commission should have been named the ‘Commission of Inquiry into Allegations of State Capture against Zuma’ as he feels he is the target.
He alleges that the recent decision of the Constitutional Court also mimics the posture of the Commission in that it has now also created a special and different set of circumstances rendering him completely defenceless against the Commission.
— Khaya Sithole (@CoruscaKhaya) February 1, 2021
Zuma also claims that initially he was informed by Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng that the Commission would be chaired by Judge Siraj Desai and was surprised when Zondo was chosen to chair.
Zuma has been summoned to appear before the commission later this month.