Due to the COVID-19 lockdown and travel restrictions, former president Jacob Zuma’s corruption case has been remanded to the 23rd of next month.

On Monday, KwaZulu-Natal Deputy-Judge President Isaac Madondo ordered that the case which was scheduled to sit Tuesday may be postponed in Zuma’s and his co-accused, French arms company – Thales’ absence.

Zuma and Thales are facing fraud and corruption charges emanating from a multi-billion procurement of weapons for the South African National Defense Force (SANDF).

The case was due to start on Wednesday in the Pietermaritzburg High Court.

In the video below, Court rules on former President Jacob Zuma case:

This after Zuma’s legal team and the state jointly made a request to KwaZulu-Natal deputy judge president, Mjabuliseni Isaac Madondo to set a new court date due to the coronavirus.

In April, the former President withdrew his Constitutional Court application.

He had earlier approached the highest court in the land to challenge the Pietermaritzburg High Court’s decision to dismiss his application for a permanent stay of prosecution.

Meanwhile, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says the state and defence teams have agreed that the case be postponed to the 23rd of June.

Court issues a stayed warrant of arrest against Zuma

In February, a stayed warrant of arrest for Zuma was issued by the court after Zuma failed to appear in court citing ill health and the court refused to accept his sick note.

But serveral sectors of the society including some members of the ANC criticized the court for the issuing the warrant of arrest.

Some have pledged their support for the former President.

The former president was said to be in Cuba receiving medical attention.

In the video below, Jacob Zuma briefs supporters upon arrival from Cuba