The Commission of Inquiry into State Capture is yet to respond to former President Jacob Zuma’s letter.
In the letter, Zuma says he will not participate in the commission’s proceedings until the commission chairperson, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, recuses himself.
Zuma has sent the letter through his lawyer Eric Mabuza saying he feels Zondo is biased against him and wants to portray him as uncooperative.
Zuma has decided that neither he nor his legal representatives will go to the commission in Johannesburg.
Last week, Zondo ordered Zuma to testify from November 16 to 20.
State Capture Commission issues new date for Jacob Zuma to appear before the commission:
Zondo said he would not negotiate with witnesses on the date they should give evidence.
The letter says Zondo must recuse himself and a different judge presides over the proceedings.
Zuma’s lawyer, Eric Mabuza says he won’t participate until Zondo is gone. It remains to be seen whether this will happen.
The letter to Zondo was sent on Monday afternoon and the commission’s chairperson is yet to respond.
Jacob Zuma Foundation’s letter to Deputy Chief Justice Zondo deemed as an attack on the judiciary:
Deputy Justice Zondo said he would hear an application by the commission’s legal team for a summons to be brought for Zuma after the former president’s legal team said he could not appear before the commission last week due to his age. They argued that his doctors had advised him to limit his movements during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Zuma has in the past indicated that despite his misgivings about the legality of the commission and its terms of reference, he respected it and would co-operate.
Below is Zuma’s letter to the commission: