Wits exit Caf Champions League

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Bidvest Wits’ Caf Champions League campaign was ended on Saturday night when they lost on penalties to Premiro Augusto at the Bidvest Stadium.

A late goal from Elias Pelembe had sealed a 1-0 win on the evening for the Clever Boys and a 1-1 aggregate draw over the two legs, but some poor technique from the penalty spot saw the hosts losing 3-2 in the shoot-out.

Wits dominated the opening half in terms of possession but all too often let themselves down with some poor decision-making and application in and around the opposition box.

Indeed the only time that visiting keeper Adilson Cipriano was tested in the opening stanza was when he kept out a near-post curler from Vincent Pule in the 12th minute.

There was also an opportunity six minutes before half time, when Thulani Hlatshwayo flashed a header wide of some good work by Sifiso Hlanti down the left wing.

Premiro Augusto though had the best chance of the half when a long ball saw Geraldo clean in on goal, but Clever Boys keeper Darren Keet did brilliantly to make the save.

Pule had a chance just after the restart, but from a good position on the edge of the area, his attempted volley was nowhere near to finding the target.

With their 1-0 first leg lead intact, the Angolan team were happy to sit back and soak up the pressure and they made it very difficult for the South African league champions to create opportunities.

It was only in the 70th minute that the next opening arrived, but Lehlohonolo Majoro wasted a great chance to score when he flashed a half-volley just wide of the near post.

With the match becoming increasingly cagey as Premiro Augusto looked to wind down the clock with play-acting antics, Wits’ frustration grew, although there was another opportunity eight minutes later when Majoro missed the target with a header from a decent position.

But they finally had the breakthrough in the 80th minute when Pelembe picked up the ball 25-yards out and beat a defender before blasting a left-foot shot into the top corner.

The closing minutes saw the game spark to life as Majoro just failed to get a touch on Daine Klate’s inviting ball while the Angolan side also had a couple of chances. But it remained 1-0 at full time, the aggregate score locked at 1-1 and a penalty shoot-out needed to decide the tie.

Keet was able to make two superb stops, but misses from Majoro, Pelembe and Klate saw the visiting side triumphing 3-2.