[WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT]

The suspect accused of killing and dismembering 23-year-old Fort Hare student Nosicelo Mtebeni has pleaded guilty on charges of murder and defeating the ends of justice.

Alutha Pasile appeared in the High Court in East London on Monday morning.

Nosicelo was killed in August and her body parts were found in a suitcase which was dumped outside a house in Quigney,  East London.

In September, the accused abandoned his application for bail.

In the video below, students and advocacy groups demonstrated outside the court calling for a harsh sentence in this case:

SA’s fight against Gender-Based Violence

Meanwhile, last week, Deputy Police Minister, Cassel Mathale said the fight against Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and Femicide is a 365 day a year strategy.

Mathale was answering questions during a Peace and Security Cluster oral reply session in the National Assembly.

Thursday [November 25] marked the beginning of the annual 16 Days of Activism campaign of No Violence against Women and Children.

“Our fight on the 16 days of Activism is a problem that the SAPS has declared a fight against GBV to be a 365 Days intervention. In addition to this, the Ministry has ensured that matters of GBV remain part of all our community engagement activities. Provinces were also requested to develop plans for ongoing campaigns for Gender-Based Violence to be conducted throughout the year,” says Mathale.

VIDEO: Western Cape police launch 16 Days of Activism against GBV campaign: