Wine producers association, Vinpro, says it is ready for its court challenge against the national alcohol ban. The Western Cape High Court will hear an urgent interim interdict on Wednesday, calling for the province to adopt deviations to the national ban to enable off and on-consumption sale of liquor.
Vinpro Managing Director, Rico Basson, says wine and tourism businesses are on the brink of collapse, leaving thousands of struggling employees. He says this is all happening while illicit trade continues to flourish, including the looting of various liquor traders and arson.
If successful, Vinpro will approach the court to seek similar relief for other provinces. It says it’s also committed to seeing through its main court application that is set down for hearing in the Western Cape High Court before a full bench from 23 to 26 August.
South Africa is on Adjusted Level 4 extended until 25 July 2021 and thereafter a reassessment will be done if it needs to be maintained or adjusted. President Cyril Ramaphosa addressed the nation last week on the country’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Some restrictions remain with others changed:
- Alcohol sales remain banned
- Transportation of alcohol remains banned
- All gatherings are prohibited except funerals. No political, religious gatherings etc
- Funerals: maximum 50 people, no night vigil or after tears celebrations
- Schools to reopen on 26 July, changed from 19 July
- Restaurants can open, with max 50 people indoors, with smaller eateries at max 50% capacity
- Gyms and fitness centres can operate under strict protocols
- Agricultural livestock and game auctions will be allowed
- Curfew remains from 9pm to 4am
- Government services will be limited across the board
- Mandatory wearing of masks in public spaces remain