The United Nations (UN) says it will continue to work closely with national and local authorities in South Africa to provide support to the regions that last week’s devastating floods have affected.
The floods have killed more than 400 people and displaced over 40 000 others. There are at least 100 people still unaccounted for.
UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric says, “This includes resources and programmes to meet the needs in the provinces of KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape. Our team is working with partners so that vulnerable communities have access to dignity packs, blankets, food, and other necessities, and is also working to restore access to services and internet connectivity, while ensuring access to health treatments. Our team is also deploying a specialised group to provide technical assistance to town planning, climate resilience and adaptation and are scheduled to visit the impacted provinces in the coming week to develop a long-term plan for support and assistance, which adds on to support provided three years ago on flooding.”
Mop-up operations underway
Meanwhile, mop-up operations have been intensified in the province. Search and rescue teams have also converged on the province along with members of the South African Defence Forces.
President Cyril Ramaphosa has declared KwaZulu-Natal and parts of the Eastern Cape disaster areas. One more body has been retrieved from the floods in KwaZulu-Natal.
The body of the woman believed to have been trapped for 10 days was found on Wednesday night: