Two suspects arrested in connection with the attack on renowned Ndebele artist Dr. Esther Mahlangu are expected to appear in the Mdutjana Magistrate’s Court in Siyabuswa in Mpumalanga on Friday morning.
This was disclosed by Mpumalanga Premier Refilwe Mtshweni-Tsipane on Thursday.
The premier visited Mahlangu’s home where she was assaulted, strangled, and robbed of her firearm and an undisclosed amount of money last month.
Mtshweni-Tsipane says Mahlangu has promised to be in court on Friday.
“Yes, she is looking forward to going to court so she can hear what happened and see who these people are. She didn’t see the guy, you know. She was just abruptly apprehended on that day and she did not get to see the face of the person. For the first time, she will be seeing this guy facially. Perhaps she will have an opportunity to speak to the guy, I don’t know. We are here to see how she is doing. She is both in a good state, physically and emotionally.”
Mtshweni-Tsipane says Mahlangu’s gun has been recovered:
She has also thanked the community for working with the police.
“We equally want to take this opportunity and thank the community for working with our policemen and women in making sure that we get to those perpetrators and successfully arrest them. We are optimistic that we have not arrested the wrong people, we arrested the right people who were engaged in this activity of breaking through Gogo’s house.”