Two suspects accused of inciting public violence during last month’s unrest in the Gauteng province will appear in court Monday morning.
A 36 year old woman will appear in the Palm Ridge Magistrates court.
She was arrested at Leondale over the weekend for allegedly inciting public violence on social media.
And the Vereeniging Magistrates court is expected to deliver judgement in the bail application of a regional organiser of the African National Congress (ANC) in Sedibeng, Themba Mnisi who is accused of similar charges. The state is opposing bail in that case.
The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) earlier this month was set to launch a National Investigative hearing into the July civil unrest.
The looting and violence in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng left more than 340 people dead and resulted in mass human rights violations.
Video: CRL Rights Commission is concerned about the conflict in some parts of the country
Damage to infrastructure and property amounted to billions of rands. It also had a devastating impact on the country’s economy with some businesses being unable to reopen.
In a statement, the commission said the role and effectiveness of the state particularly of police and the security cluster as a whole will come under scrutiny.
The commission will also investigate underlying reasons that contributed to the unrest, looting and violence.
It said its decision to probe these events was informed by an Imbizo it held in July in an effort to better understand and respond to the challenges brought by the unrest.