Two men aged 22 and 35 are expected to appear in the Richmond Magistrate’s Court in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands on Monday on charges of murder, kidnapping, robbery, theft and defeating the ends of justice.
The suspects were arrested in the Taylors Halt area.
It is alleged that the men were involved in the kidnapping and murder of a family of five late last year in the Boston area.
Police Spokesperson, Thembeka Mbhele says officers discovered the burnt bodies in a plantation.
Mbhele says two children are among the deceased.
She says, “On 16 November 2021, five members of a family were kidnapped at Boston and they were reported missing at Boston SAPS. Among the missing persons was a three-month old child and a two-year old child. On 13 December 2021, the bodies of the deceased were recovered at Richmond as well as the deceased’s motor vehicle.”
Mbhele says a docket containing five counts of murder, kidnapping, robbery and theft of a motor vehicle was opened.
“(The docket) was allocated to the Organised Crime Unit. After an intensive investigation by the team, two suspects were arrested and charged for the same cases. The team is still searching for more suspects,” Mbhele adds.
Last month, the 20-year-old woman, who allegedly hired hitmen to murder her parents and three siblings in December 2016 was granted R10 000 bail.
Onthatile Sebati and two co-accused are facing five charges of murder and armed robbery.
The alleged hitmen Tumelo Mokone and Kagiso Mokone, both aged 23, were arrested four weeks ago.
Sebati, who was 15 years old at the time of the crime, confessed to the police that she had hired them to murder her family, using her father’s firearm.
VIDEO: SABC New’s Molemo-waOne Mothoa reports on the case: