Traffic volumes at tolls in KwaZulu-Natal remain high as holidaymakers travel in and out of the province, despite the ongoing coronavirus lockdown. Authorities have issued holidaymakers with stern warnings to continue to adhere to COVID-19 protocols even on holiday.
Operations Manager at the N3 Toll Concession, Thania Dhoogra says, “We recorded in excess of 1500 vehicles per hour going through Tugela and Mooi River Plaza heading in a southbound direction towards Durban. And approaching 1000 vehicles per hour heading northbound towards Jhb we are expecting this to last well into the late afternoon.”
Dhoogra is urging motorists to use the N3TC’s 24-hour helpline in the event of any emergencies on the roads.
“Our forecast is that we will have extremely high traffic starting again probably around Tuesday and continuing until late on Thursday evening as people head down toward the coast. Please call our 24 hour n3 helpline on 0800 6343 57 for any assistance route information or emergency help.”
Curb road carnages
Earlier in the month, KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Transport, Community Safety, and Liaison Bheki Ntuli officially launched the Festive Season Integrated Law Enforcement Safety Plan.
Ntuli says measures are in place to bring stability to the province’s roads. He says women and men in blue are ready to make sure that drivers adhere to the rules of the road.
KwaZulu-Natal has vowed to intensify its campaigns to fight crime and curb road carnages in the province. Over the past two years, the province has been recording the highest number of road fatalities.
KZN MEC meets police units to roll-out plan of festive season safety campaign: