Residents of Talana hostel in Tzaneen are blaming the local municipality of failing to improve their living conditions. This comes after three people were burnt beyond recognition when their dwellings caught fire on Saturday morning.
It’s believed that the fire was started by a candle left unattended in one of the rooms. Residents lost their valuables including Identity Documents and personal belongings.
Many people managed to escape but three were trapped, amongst them two men and a two-year-old child.
This is the third incident that has claimed lives at the same hostel.
Resident says the municipality has been making promises to provide services. The municipality promised to assist the victims.
Mopani District Mayor Nkakareng Rakgoale says: “We are working with the private sector to come and assist the victims and they have also built RDP houses to alleviate the squatter camps.”
Three other people sustained serious injuries and were rushed to the nearest hospital.
It’s believed that over 4000 people live in the hostel.