Police in Gqeberha are investigating an incident in which three children died after eating pasta bought from a shop in New Brighton in the Eastern Cape.
The children aged four months as well as seven and 11 years had accompanied their grandparents on a visit to relatives in New Brighton when the incident happened.
Police Spokesperson Priscilla Naidu says the children complained of stomach cramps after eating the pasta and died soon after.
Naidu says, “When they arrived home in Motherwell, Sinothando Ngwendu (11) complained of feeling nauseous. Her grandmother gave her some water to drink. The other child, Olwam Ngwendu(7) also complained of stomach cramps and nausea.”
“While being driven with private transport to the Motherwell clinic, they passed away. Shortly after the two children left for hospital, Athenkosi Ngwendu (4 months old) also passed away while on route to hospital in another vehicle. Sinothando Ngwendu is a cousin of Olwam and Athenkosi Ngwendu. A post mortem will be conducted to establish the exact cause of their deaths,” she adds.
It is alleged that 38-year old Nelly Pitso poisoned herself, her 34-year-old partner and her six children following an alleged altercation with her partner.
It is alleged that the poison is used to kill rodents.
Pitso’s 34-year-old partner and two of their children survived.
VIDEO: SABC reporter Sellwane Khakhau has more details: