The Gauteng Education Department says it accepts the position of the Katlehong community, east of Johannesburg that it did not torch the local primary school.
Education MEC, Panyaza Lesufi had threatened that his department would not fix the school after allegations that the school was set alight during a community protest over electricity on Thursday last week.
Two Grade R classes were damaged.
The department, however, says learners whose classes were targeted will be accommodated in other classes at the school.
The department’s Spokesperson, Steve Mabona, says they expect things to run smoothly when schools re-open on Tuesday.
“Accordingly, it is suspected that this act of arson might be the work of a lone member of the community. We have an undertaking from the community to assist to track the culprit. We fully support the community’s standpoint and henceforth, we will work with them and the police to apprehend this rogue element. However, reality is that we do not have funds to repair the school. The department is at an advanced stage to check what can be salvaged from this mess.”