Stormers suffer third defeat

Rugby players
Reading Time: 3 minutes

The Stormers have suffered their third consecutive defeat on the road of their Australasian tour, losing 24-12 to the Reds in a Super Rugby encounter in Brisbane.

After a scoreless first half the Reds scored three converted tries to the two of the Stormers.

The win takes them to third place in the Australian Conference, while the Stormers remain second from the bottom in the South African Conference.

The Stormers were eager to register their first win on the road. They enjoyed territorial advantage and were twice denied tries in the right hand corner, but it was the home side that finished stronger in the scoreless first half.

However, the Stormers’ defence did well to prevent them from scoring on a number of occasions.

The Reds continued from where they left off in the second half and with Stormers captain Siya Kolisi sin-binned, their patience finally paid off and they managed to break the visitors’ steely defence.

Two quick unanswered tries early by captain Samu Kerevi and Brandon Paenga-Amosa saw them take a 14-0 lead. Kerevi finished with ease after a slick inside pass from Sefa Naivalu.

The Stormers responded with lock, Kobus Van Dyk, scoring a try to slash the Reds’ lead to 14-7. The Reds caught the tourists napping with Tate McDermott beating three defenders to score the hosts’ third try.

It ended 24-12 with Damien De Allende scoring the Stormers’ second try, but it was a matter of too little too late for his side to mount a challenge.

Earlier, the Hurricanes recorded a 31-28 victory over the Highlanders in Dunedin. The Highlanders drew first blood, capitalising on their territorial advantage with flanker, Shannon Frizell, scoring their first try, but the visitors struck back minutes later with TJ Perenara pouncing on a loose ball before scoring.

The teams were tied 14-14 at half-time after tries by hooker, Ash Dixon, and flanker, Ardie Savea.

The home side led 26-17 following tries by Kane Hammington and James Lentjes in the second half, but the Hurricanes’ never-say-die attitude paid off with the side scoring two tries of their own to edge the home side.

In the end it was tight affair with the Canes having to defending with everything they had before securing another victory by three points over the Highlanders.

The Hurricanes beat the Highlanders 25-22 in Wellington in March.