The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has suspended three employees and unscheduled one freelancer after what it calls a “sabotage of president Ramaphosa’s speech” on gender violence and xenophobic attacks.
A statement released on Tuesday afternoon states that the decision was taken after an investigation into the matter in question.
SABC group chief executive, Madoda Mxakwe says, “the SABC will not tolerate any acts or omissions that bring the public broadcaster into disrepute, and undermine efforts to eradicate systemic problems of malfeasance and maladministration plaguing the institution”.
On the evening of Thursday 5th September, President Cyril Ramaphosa addressed the nation through a recorded message focusing on the recent gender-based Violence engulfing the country and the recent violence in Gauteng concerning foreign-owned businesses.
During the broadcast, Ramaphosa made an error and instructed that the reading be redone.
The “blunder” quickly trended on social media platforms, with many accusing the public broadcaster of sabotaging the president.
The SABC says it will act decisively on any issues seeking to undermine the efforts gained in restoring the public broadcaster’s reputation.
SABC News and Current Affairs Group Executive, Phathiswa Magopeni says “any employee found to be involved in clandestine activities aimed at undoing the ongoing work to restore the credibility of the public news service, will be dealt with accordingly, within the confines of the SABC’s human resources and disciplinary policies”.
In the statement released, the SABC says the correct clip had been prepared but the production staff still chose to run the wrong clip.
Implicated employees have been given an opportunity to make representations.
Watch interview with SABC News GE, Phathiswa Magopeni:
Read the full statement below: