Home

Team of detectives assembled to hunt-down “Diepsloot Murder Gang”: Makhura

Reading Time: < 1 minute

Gauteng Premier David Makhura says a team of detectives has been assembled to hunt down a gang alleged to be behind the spate of murders in Diepsloot north of Johannesburg.

He says seven South Africans were murdered since October last year by the same gang using the same modus operandi. The murders led to a community protest that erupted this week where residents were complaining about the police’s inability to deal with the high crime levels in the township.

In the early hours of on Thursday morning, Zimbabwean national Elvis Nyathi was stoned and burned to death by a mob that was banging on doors asking people for their Identity Documents.

Ministers Bheki Cele, Aaron Motsoaledi and the National Police Commissioner are currently meeting Diepsloot residents. They are giving them feedback on what government is doing to respond to their complaints.

Makhura could not confirm if the gang is comprised of foreign nationals. “They are alleging that they are not South African. That is something the police do. The allegation is the gang goes house to house, breaking, stabbing, shooting people and asking for TV sets. The community is alleging that they are foreign nationals, which can only be confirmed by the police.”

The video below reports on the visit by Makhura and the Ministers:

Tweet from SABC News journalist, Sipho Kekana on the ground in Diepsloot:

Author

MOST READ